Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Go Pro 5 Hero Tips for Caves.

Hi guys not sure if this is the place to post ...
    Just bought a new Go Pro 5 lots of setting to play with was looking at 1080P AT 24fps on wide view...would this be ok setting ?
    I do realize light play a big part ( more the better) but just after the basic .

Cheers Tony

ANDI Full cave 7/2015
    Naui Australia Trimixdiver.
    Naui Mixed Gas Blender & 02 Service Teck.
    Briz Vages Exploration team member.
    TDI Meg Rebreather diver 9/2010, Mod 1&2.
    ANDI Mod 3 Meg rebreather 7/2015
    CDAA Cavern Deep Sinkhole 22/7/2011
    And proud S/S Scooter owner.
    Dive Safety Through Quality Education

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Tony

ANDI Full cave 7/2015
    Naui Australia Trimixdiver.
    Naui Mixed Gas Blender & 02 Service Teck.
    Briz Vages Exploration team member.
    TDI Meg Rebreather diver 9/2010, Mod 1&2.
    ANDI Mod 3 Meg rebreather 7/2015
    CDAA Cavern Deep Sinkhole 22/7/2011
    And proud S/S Scooter owner.
    Dive Safety Through Quality Education

avoid the low light setting. This lowers the framerate automatically to capture more light. But that allways looks awfull when it drops below the 24fps.
    ISO, max 1600, if you go any higher, you'll get a huge amount of noise. Even at 1600 You'll get a lot of noise. Try to find the balance between the amount of light you need to get your shot and the amount of noise you're willing to accept.
    The more light the better, offcourse. That was my biggest problem. Not having the right amount of light with me.
    But when it comes to it, sometimes it's better to have a shot with a lot of noise, than to have no shot at all.

For Color I would suggest using Gopro color (and turn on protune for manual white balance control) if you're not planning on doing color correction in the editing phase.
    White balance in the cave: Use 6500K, most lights cave divers use these days are led of HID that is usually on the cool side of the color spectrum, so 6500K should be ok normally. Using auto whitebalance will make the colors change over time.

Framerate of 24 is perfect in my opinion. Higher framerates are cool if you slow them down to 24 in editing to get some slowmotion, but they also require more light.
    Wide view gives you a nice wideangle shot - because you lose some of your field of view by going in the water with the gopro. But avoid placing other divers (faces) close near the edges of your shot. Because of the fisheye lens, there is a lot of distortion near the edges, resulting in less pleasing images of the people placed in that area of the image.