Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

I really wish you guys would stop horsing around and get back to the topic at hand before I run out of popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    There is a sportsman's law in Florida that covers things like cave diving. The problem is it does't work if the landowner charges to be on their land.
    I don't see why Ginnie has any liability. Common sense tells me that every diver who dives in the cave left Ginnie's land and went onto state property. They had no control over what the diver did or didn't do after they left the steps.

Sadly the law and common sense are not always in line with each other though.

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    I don't see why Ginnie has any liability. Common sense tells me that every diver who dives in the cave left Ginnie's land and went onto state property. They had no control over what the diver did or didn't do after they left the steps.

This makes perfect sense to me.

Sadly the law and common sense are not always in line with each other though.
    As a lawyer friend says, "There's no essential connection between legality and reality."

Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    SCR for the win!
    AJ brought up an interesting point. Any CCR can be used in SCR mode, and many mod 1 courses include SCR use. So why not just tell them you are using a CCR, but diving it in SCR mode? How could they possibly argue that? Of course that will lead to the SCR requirement from the lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    Y?all need to quit being so effing cheap. You spent thousands and thousands on your rebreather, drysuit, bailout tanks, ccr training, and cave training. It?s like a 2-4 day crossover for under a grand.

If you don?t like it, dive somewhere else.

This is almost as bad as the people who complained about needing to pay to join the nsscds to dive cow.
    The difference is the slippery slope. Pretty soon it will be rebreather specific. I do have a CCR Cave card from years ago on my Optima. If I want to dive my Flex or JJ or SF2 or any other CCR, would I have to get CCR Cave Crossover certification? No agency requires it to be unit specific, and no agency requires CCR Cave. But I do disagree with those that think there is nothing to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by lv2dive View Post
    The quote above piqued my curiosity; I'm certainly curious to hear from anyone who may have an informed perspective as to the following:

What does the phrase "rebreather-specific cave cards" mean? Does it mean that every time a CCR diver crosses over to a new CCR, they need a NEW / separate CAVE CCR card ? What about those who have a unit-agnostic Cave CCR card - would that not be accepted?

Very curious!
    Exactly. And what about homebuilds?

Ken

The Tech Diver's Prayer: Oh Lord, if I should die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it..

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter View Post
    AJ brought up an interesting point. Any CCR can be used in SCR mode, and many mod 1 courses include SCR use. So why not just tell them you are using a CCR, but diving it in SCR mode? How could they possibly argue that? Of course that will lead to the SCR requirement from the lawyers.

The difference is the slippery slope. Pretty soon it will be rebreather specific. I do have a CCR Cave card from years ago on my Optima. If I want to dive my Flex or JJ or SF2 or any other CCR, would I have to get CCR Cave Crossover certification? No agency requires it to be unit specific, and no agency requires CCR Cave. But I do disagree with those that think there is nothing to learn.

Exactly. And what about homebuilds?
    from what i've heard this ban applies to scr as well. a bit annoying since the gue rb80 class is a cave diving class. but whatever. it's not like i'm diving my rebreather at ginnie springs on a regular basis.
    hopefully gue will take care of us, but if they don't i'm certainly not signing up for any new gue cave rb80 class...

Hasn't Ginnie historically enforced rules for a few weeks and then basically forgot about them? That's how the DPV rule always was, unless you looked like a disaster, no one stopped you excluding a few periods where they got really excited about it. I've never had a DPV card and never been stopped at Ginnie, even after several dozen dives there on a dpv.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    Hasn't Ginnie historically enforced rules for a few weeks and then basically forgot about them? That's how the DPV rule always was, unless you looked like a disaster, no one stopped you excluding a few periods where they got really excited about it. I've never had a DPV card and never been stopped at Ginnie, even after several dozen dives there on a dpv.
    yea but with the comments in this thread i expect them to put someone down by the water to check