Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    For those who say "Ginnie doesn't really care about cave divers"... I might wonder why they seem so hostile to anyone approaching the spring from the river via boat?

A few weeks back when the water was high and Ginnie was still closed, I drove my Jon boat up to pass over the eye and the ear just long enough to see if there was obvious flow. While I was taking a look, a middle aged gentleman zipped over towards me in a golf cart and gave me a menacing stare, and seemed like he was almost ready to "invite me to leave". I am pretty sure I know who this guy is, but can't confirm 100%. I just waved and smiled as I continued on past the Ear back out onto the river.

I have never actually tried to dive Devils system from the river, but it's starting to sound tempting.
    Sorry someone looked at you funny.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jebernot View Post
    It doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree, let me put something in context, it's private property. Complaining at the register, on a public forum in this manner that is read by the owners and staff, or otherwise does not foster good land owner relations.
    Have to agree with John. Ginnie has been very accommodating to cave divers, and has done many things above and beyond what they get in money from us. We need to stop P &Ming whenever an owner of their property changes a rule, but accept it, and work with it. Cave divers only exist if they have a site to dive, and last time I checked the mass majority of the sites aren't owned or managed by cave divers. It never ceases to amaze me how we can behave like spoiled children! I remember working months to help secure Indian as a dive site, one of the best dives in Florida, and had been closed for years. The OWNER wanted it as a guided site as condition, so we established something to accommodate their requirement. Instead of people being thankful for a new site, we heard a monotone of P & Ming.

Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 11-12-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Well said Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Have to agree with John. Ginnie has been very accommodating to cave divers, and has done many things above and beyond what they get in money from us. We need to stop P &Ming whenever an owner of their property changes a rule, but accept it, and work with it. Cave divers only exist if they have a site to dive, and last time I checked the mass majority of the sites aren't owned or managed by cave divers. It never ceases to amaze me how we can behave like spoiled children! I remember working months to help secure Indian as a dive site, one of the best dives in Florida, and had been closed for years. The OWNER wanted it as a guided site as condition, so we established something to accommodate their requirement. Instead of people being thankful for a new site, we heard a monotone of P & Ming.

"Is this thing on?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    I remember working months to help secure Indian as a dive site, one of the best dives in Florida, and had been closed for years. The OWNER wanted it as a guided site as condition, so we established something to accommodate their requirement. Instead of people being thankful for a new site, we heard a monotone of P & Ming.
    That may have more to do with the person managing the site.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    That may have more to do with the person managing the site.
    Whether it is the owner, manager, liability insurance company, lawyer or community that has a vested interest, if they are the "land owner" and they want a particular rule for continued access, then it ours to do, or don't dive.

Maybe I’ve missed it but I haven’t seen post I would classify as P&M. We all realize the owners can do as they please. But when long standing policy’s are suddenly changed it catches people off guard.
    In the past seemed Ginnie employeed more cave divers/instructors . These people no doubt had influence in keeping access available. Now with Rose gone there is no one to speak for cave divers.

Al

Right on Kelly. Agree 100%

just to clarify, what are people pissed about?

1. that a CCR Cave Card (or other certification requirements) are needed to conduct certain types of diving activities at this site?

or

2. the manner in which the management of Ginnie conducts their business activities, changes to policy and manner in which changes are communicated to the cave diving community?

I have a problem with option 2... I'm not too concerned about the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Al View Post
    Maybe I?ve missed it but I haven?t seen post I would classify as P&M. We all realize the owners can do as they please. But when long standing policy?s are suddenly changed it catches people off guard.
    In the past seemed Ginnie employeed more cave divers/instructors . These people no doubt had influence in keeping access available. Now with Rose gone there is no one to speak for cave divers.

Al
    The P & M is in a general context because there have been sites over time with access rules established or altered, which has resulted in an out cry from the community- normally negative. Will the new manager and staff get an earful? Lets hope not. There are ways of working through these things, and there a couple (active) non-profit cave diving agencies that have had a voice for the community lately. Where I do hate it that new policy was not communicated in some form to save a trip to this site by someone, it is probably time to establish a liaison with the cave diving community and Ginnie management/ownership. Thanks Al for your comment

somebody had made a comment that you don't need a CCR for first 4,500'. That may be but it sure seems a lot safer with a CCR and bailout that isn't being consumed during the course of the dive. I'm not doing any CCR dives in Ginnie that I hadn't already done on OC, just now I'm doing all the dives on the same day! When i was strictly OC I loved diving with CCR guys because there was so much extra gas available. I know 4 people who died cave diving, all 4 ran out of gas because things happened. All 4 were highly experienced. Maybe I'm wrong and I'd love to hear other opinions but having OC experience and then going CCR seems to me to be the best cave foundation. Three guys I dive with started cave CC and all three say "I'd never dive a cave OC, it's nuts". I'm kinda coming around to there way of thinking!