Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

They also require you to have DPV Cave Certification Card.

Quote Originally Posted by adonn View Post
    I think it is less a problem with being required to show verification and more of a problem with how the rules are implemented and enforced. This has been a problem at this site to varying degrees for years and years. At certain times what certifications you were required to produce upon checking in seemed to depend more on the direction the wind was blowing that day more than anything else. Sometimes you would need a dry-suit specialty card other times you wouldn't. One day you needed a DPV specialty. The next you didn't. Then it changed to a cave DPV specialty. Sometimes you got grandfathered in, other times you would not depending on if you know the secret handshake or not. I think this had sort of died down recently or at least been a little more consistent but now it sounds like nothing has changed. Sounds like they are requiring certification that don't even exist. I got certified before a lot of these specialties even existed so I've run into this before and it can be very frustrating.
    https://youtu.be/u-d0m8W1XEk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

Quote Originally Posted by shellmoundal View Post
    They also require you to have DPV Cave Certification Card.
    Will they also require divers to perform a proper frog kick?

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    Will they also require divers to perform a proper frog kick?
    https://youtu.be/_aCFiFVt4iU

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Actually the video you linked is not what I had in mind.

Take a look at this one instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtWbkyT27OI

Check out 1:55 and 3:03 into the footage for a board member of a well known agency which shall not be named. According to the footage this board member is unable to frog kick.
    Maybe his instructor would care to elaborate?

How is this possible??

Would this diver have passed fundies, rec or tec?

Quote Originally Posted by adonn View Post
    I think it is less a problem with being required to show verification and more of a problem with how the rules are implemented and enforced. This has been a problem at this site to varying degrees for years and years. At certain times what certifications you were required to produce upon checking in seemed to depend more on the direction the wind was blowing that day more than anything else. Sometimes you would need a dry-suit specialty card other times you wouldn't. One day you needed a DPV specialty. The next you didn't. Then it changed to a cave DPV specialty. Sometimes you got grandfathered in, other times you would not depending on if you know the secret handshake or not. I think this had sort of died down recently or at least been a little more consistent but now it sounds like nothing has changed. Sounds like they are requiring certification that don't even exist. I got certified before a lot of these specialties even existed so I've run into this before and it can be very frustrating.

Then there is the situation of an instructor teaching an OW class there and he only had his nitrox instructor card on him and they wouldn't let him in because he didn't have his OW instructor card. Doh.

Michael C. Barnette
    Association of Underwater Explorers
    http://uwex.us

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    Actually the video you linked is not what I had in mind.

Take a look at this one instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtWbkyT27OI

Check out 1:55 and 3:03 into the footage for a board member of a well known agency which shall not be named. According to the footage this board member is unable to frog kick.
    Maybe his instructor would care to elaborate?

How is this possible??

Would this diver have passed fundies, rec or tec?
    Whatever. Your just jealous of my video!

Earnest Shackleton

Florida could use an "assumption of risk" law when it comes to cave diving. PA (where I live) has just such a law concerning horseback riding on others property. Landowners put up a standard blue risk sign and that's that, they can't be held accountable for a riding accident on their property. If such a law didn't exist then all riders would be barred from crossing on to private property. Otherwise why would anybody in their right mind allow strangers to cross there fields an assume that risk as a property owner. As it is riders move from field to field freely (unless the property is posted No Trespassing). If they have an accident they have no recourse to seek damages by PA State law. I'm sure more caves would open up if property owners were protected from ever being sued. You stick your head in a cave; it's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by hbm View Post
    Florida could use an "assumption of risk" law when it comes to cave diving. PA (where I live) has just such a law concerning horseback riding on others property. Landowners put up a standard blue risk sign and that's that, they can't be held accountable for a riding accident on their property. If such a law didn't exist then all riders would be barred from crossing on to private property. Otherwise why would anybody in their right mind allow strangers to cross there fields an assume that risk as a property owner. As it is riders move from field to field freely (unless the property is posted No Trespassing). If they have an accident they have no recourse to seek damages by PA State law. I'm sure more caves would open up if property owners were protected from ever being sued. You stick your head in a cave; it's on you.
    Your honor, whether or not the sign was up at the time my client's husband died is a disputed question of fact. Therefore summary judgment is inappropriate and I demand a two week trial by jury on this and the 30 other issues in the case in to pressure the liability insurance carrier for the defendant to agree to a lucrative (for me) settlement.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by elubes View Post
    And yes Ginnie said they will enforce rebreather-specific cave cards. At least from what they told me...
    The quote above piqued my curiosity; I'm certainly curious to hear from anyone who may have an informed perspective as to the following:

What does the phrase "rebreather-specific cave cards" mean? Does it mean that every time a CCR diver crosses over to a new CCR, they need a NEW / separate CAVE CCR card ? What about those who have a unit-agnostic Cave CCR card - would that not be accepted?

Very curious!