Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Easy folks. Vent your frustrations, sure, but be respectful to each other.

Respectful ? On an internet forum? Ho ho ho ho ho ho....you make Santa laugh.

"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing"
    "If you can see the handwriting on the wall ... you're on the toilet."
    "You make me wish that birth control was retroactive."
    "A girl's legs are her best friends...but even the best of friends must part."

Redd Foxx 10-11-91

"There she was - the cave. Like a big craggy jaw, waiting to snap at anything that came along." Lloyd "Mike Nelson" Bridges 3-10-1998

My annual pass expires next month, waiting to see how this plays out. I was there yesterday. There was a medic walking around checking sites, but had no interaction with people that i know of. Security hanging out by cave load out area, but not paying attention to turkey roost much. I was OC as i was helping with a cavern class in the ballroom, but was able to do a short cave dive(OC) after class. My pass shows cave ccr, and I was signed in as such, they didnt ask for any updated cert cards.... but i will say its hard to take the liability angle serious when OW / free divers are ALWAYS in the ballroom, they hold ballroomnight dives for OW divers and the amount of OW divers that go into the caves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsgbk9 View Post
    My annual pass expires next month, waiting to see how this plays out. I was there yesterday. There was a medic walking around checking sites, but had no interaction with people that i know of. Security hanging out by cave load out area, but not paying attention to turkey roost much. I was OC as i was helping with a cavern class in the ballroom, but was able to do a short cave dive(OC) after class. My pass shows cave ccr, and I was signed in as such, they didnt ask for any updated cert cards.... but i will say its hard to take the liability angle serious when OW / free divers are ALWAYS in the ballroom, they hold ballroomnight dives for OW divers and the amount of OW divers that go into the caves.
    I think that the ballroom is considered an "ow safe" cavern, much like paradise. Not saying I agree with it. Think of it from a legal aspect. A lawyer can play up the "1000s of feet back in a cave" angle alot more than a cavern if a lawsuit ensues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I think that the ballroom is considered an "ow safe" cavern, much like paradise. Not saying I agree with it. Think of it from a legal aspect. A lawyer can play up the "1000s of feet back in a cave" angle alot more than a cavern if a lawsuit ensues.
    I wonder how often an OW diver dies in the ballroom - I'm thinking that is rather rare.....

"So long and thanks for all the fish!" -- Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    I wonder how often an OW diver dies in the ballroom - I'm thinking that is rather rare.....
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by barney00 View Post
    It's private property but it's also a business. My posting this was 1) to notify other divers of the change and 2) to voice my displeasure with the change and also the lack of notification. Ginnie staff could have easily posted info in their shop a month or two ago notifying divers of the pending change and perhaps considered making a post here. But instead it's "surprise!"
    I've already rectified my situation. No biggie in the scheme of things. It just would have been nice not to waste a drive there.
    You should just feel lucky they let you dive in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by adonn View Post
    I don't feel lucky to shop at publix and I would expect that if they were to start having restricted Deli hours on sundays that they would communicate the change in advance so I can still buy my Boars Head roast beef without incident on my sunday evening shopping trip. If they choose to stop selling meat alltogether, no problem, just give me a heads up so I can go to Winn Dixie.

Quote Originally Posted by adonn View Post
    I suppose so.

Michael C. Barnette
    Association of Underwater Explorers
    http://uwex.us

Default Cave CCR certification required at Ginnie Springs

I continue to be genuinely amazed at the depth of passion over this issue.

GSO: "We want verification you're as qualified as you say."

The internet: "F YOU!"

Quote Originally Posted by oya View Post
    I continue to be genuinely amazed at the depth of passion over this issue.

GSO: "We want verification you're as qualified as you say."

The internet: "F YOU!"
    I think it is less a problem with being required to show verification and more of a problem with how the rules are implemented and enforced. This has been a problem at this site to varying degrees for years and years. At certain times what certifications you were required to produce upon checking in seemed to depend more on the direction the wind was blowing that day more than anything else. Sometimes you would need a dry-suit specialty card other times you wouldn't. One day you needed a DPV specialty. The next you didn't. Then it changed to a cave DPV specialty. Sometimes you got grandfathered in, other times you would not depending on if you know the secret handshake or not. I think this had sort of died down recently or at least been a little more consistent but now it sounds like nothing has changed. Sounds like they are requiring certification that don't even exist. I got certified before a lot of these specialties even existed so I've run into this before and it can be very frustrating.