Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I had a set of the original Divator bottles. They were 4000 or so psi rated, and hard to get filled to that pressure at that time. They got hot filling them, very hot. The fiber acted as insulation when filling. I used them in open water only, so I cannot comment about rebreather. I think if I remember correctly, they were something weird like 3.7 liters.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."
    "Modern Americans behave as if intelligence were some sort of hideous deformity."
    "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."

Frank Zappa 12-4-93

"There she was - the cave. Like a big craggy jaw, waiting to snap at anything that came along." Lloyd "Mike Nelson" Bridges 3-10-1998

I have a pack of four 3L carbon fiber bottles. LOVE them. They are soft. Two of them are probably (definitely) no longer safe for use from me dragging them through tiny holes, but they still hold air. If you are going to beat them up, they aren't going to last long. If you are stacking them on a rebreather, where the tops stick up, cover them with something, or they won't be usable for long. Other than that, they really fix weight issues.

Totally an observation ONLY. I have been in shops in Florida when a customer comes in with carbon tanks and is told no for filling.

I've worked on design for these kind of bottles, it's part of what I do for a living. I would not purchase bottles like this for in-water application. The fiber is fine, it's the water ingress into the composite through micro-fractures that will penetrate dryspots in the resin that's the issue. Descent and the air pocket sucks water in, if that is salt water, it will start to abrade and chemically degrade the composite from the inside out. That's part of why they have a finite service life, there is no practical way to detect that *military/nasa/mfgs etc. have ways to scan them, but if they pass, they pass, so they go out.

If you're looking for specific projects where you absolutely need to cut weight, not a terrible option to look at, but wouldn't recommend if you intend on a long service life. For me I'd use them for 1, max 2 years, then trash.

Quote Originally Posted by hotelconucc93 View Post
    Totally an observation ONLY. I have been in shops in Florida when a customer comes in with carbon tanks and is told no for filling.
    Yea, this goes without saying, you are totally on your own for fills.

yes, i will fill them myself, as i to have seen shops refuse them, as far as service life my cost on them is not bad there for i will not use them too long.... they will be fresh water only so i will see thanks everyone for the input. honestly i just wana play with them to see what they are like in a diving app...

The second mouse gets the cheese!

I know them from SCBA application and have used them for recreational diving in fresh water. No issues. Just more lead.

Now, my friend dives them on cave expeditions. Manufactured mid 90s, salt and fresh, hp fills... No issues.

To me it's very difficult to guess where the risk factors are or what is 'safe enough'. I have seen them abused badly without failure.

Regards,
    Cameron