Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator Forum Admin

Default Green Cove Springs?

Does anyone know anything about Green Cove Springs, on the St/ Johns river, just south of Jacksonville, FL? It looks like it is city property, and has been "improved" as in it flows through a swimming pool.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Yeah, there was an article in the mid-90s in the NACD Journal about it. I believe Lamar or Pete Butt may know something about it.

BTW, I gave all my old journals, etc to Cindy in the late 2000s for the museum so I don't have that issue of the NACD Journal anymore.

Ken Sallot

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Green Cove Springs, on the St/ Johns river, just south of Jacksonville, FL? It looks like it is city property, and has been "improved" as in it flows through a swimming pool.
    WJ {Woody} & Bill Main may also be able to enlighten you Forrest ! I heard about it from one of them a while back . {late 80's}
    I do not believe it goes !

JE.

Well, I drove my boat over the area last year and couldn't find it and the water was pretty nasty. Good luck!

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    10-09-2007 09:06 AM

trident1977

Green Cove Springs
    Randy, Corey & Dan

I have dove the spring many years ago and will tell you that it is "tight" and gets deep fast. I was told that Wes Skiles dove it a number of years ago for survey. If my memory serves me correctly it drops to around 170' and is a sidemount entrance that opens a little once inside. I have tried for a number of years to obtain permission to dive again but the city manager (Don Bowles) wants nothing of the sort. I was a lifeguard there back in 98 and got lucky to dive it. Good luck to you guys and hope that this helps.

Jason Johns

Last edited by JE; 10-30-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: removed visable contact detail

The spring is somewhat concealed as a "wishing well".... it is located a good 200 yards from the actual river. There is a circular concrete wall surrounding the spring water, approximately 15' in diameter. The water flows upward in the concrete circle and then runs down a spill way into the public swimming pool. At the other end of the swimming pool (closer to the river), the pool water overflows into a spring run, then dumps into the river. At night there is a valve/overflow system that they turn off the spring water flowing into the pool and it runs through a different overflow conduit under ground and discharges into the same spring run. There is a big "no diving/swimming" sign next to the spring and most people have no idea there is a cave below the surface of the pool, rather they walk by and toss coins in and perhaps make a wish. The water is very warm (78 degrees I belive year round) and smells very sulfuric.
    A year or so ago the swimming pool and pool house were removed and the park was fully renovated. I live just a few miles north of Green Cove Springs, and we usually end up down there a few times a year, but I have not been back to see the completely renovated pool/park area since completion, but now that you bring it up, I'll have to stop by and snap some pictures this week.
    The park (as it was before the construction) is a great place to take a family picnic... huge play ground area, swimming in the summer months and a pier that goes out into the st. Johns river. Of course as mentioned above, no cave or scuba diving, but it is fun to swim in the pool that is crystal clear at all times and zero chlorine or chemicals are used to maintain it since it is constantly refreshed with millions of gallons of spring water daily.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171029_144611.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	17406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171029_144411.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	17407  

There is a new city manager now. If you can get her permission, you can dive it. That is part of the Green Cove Springs city ordinance.

https://library.municode.com/fl/gree...DIETSPSPPAPOAR

http://www.greencovesprings.com/depa.../city_manager/

Here is an interesting geological report:
    https://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/1995/4257/report.pdf
    There is another spring that flows out underwater nearby north of the bridge. They dove it but it has almost zero visibility.
    It was located using far infrared imaging which detects heat anomalies. I don't think the poor visibility water is coming from the spring though.
    The in the city park has clear water.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171029_144646.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	17408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171029_144629.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	17409  

I have heard recently of a dive being done there a few years ago and it had some cave. That's about all I know though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk