Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Don't ship scooters

I thought I would share some helpful tips after a recent scooter shipping experience that went bad.

What happened?
    I sold my Mako DPV to a guy in West Virginia... he wanted me to ship the scooter but I was hesitant and insisted that UPS pack it, ship it and insure it for the sale price value ($900). It ended up costing $175 to do all that. Scooter arrived, guy opens it up, sets it aside (all looks good) and takes it on a dive the next week. Bad news... motor is spinning backwards and upon closer inspection sees that one of the struts connecting the body to the shroud is cracked through. We contact UPS to file a claim BUT because the original packing material was discarded, they would not pay the claim. After a lengthy process of providing multiple pictures of the scooter before shipping, pictures of the damaged scooter, estimates of repair from Curt at DPV repair (Thanks Curt!) and statements from both of us, including a short video clip of the box it arrived in (the guy took a cute little video of his mini puppy dog swimming in the peanuts in the box... the only evidence that the shipping materials existed), we finally (2 months after shipping) have gotten UPS to agree to pay the claim.. .I'm still waiting on a check. In addition, the day after filing the claim UPS showed up at the guys house wanting to pick up the scooter and "throw" it on a truck to take it somewhere for inspection. We refused since there were no packing materials and literally the scooter would have been rolling around on the back of a UPS truck. We were then advised that the scooter could not be moved to any other address (the guy was coming to florida and was going to bring it back) because we would then be liable for the damage.

So... if you sell/buy a scooter, here are some recommendations:
    -pick it up, find a ride for it or take a road trip to get it.
    -If YOU SHIP IT... let them pack it, insure it for the full value, and NEVER DISCARD the packing materials upon receipt until you are 100% certain it is in the condition you expected it to be.
    -Document, document, document... everything in case you get stuck in this boat.
    -Ensure the buyer is fully aware of the concerns and understands they are liable for the loss if they discard the packing materials or take action that prohibits the claim being paid out.

Good luck!

PS... if anyone is traveling from WV to Florida and want to pick up a broken scooter and bring it back to me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for the tips Matt. This just reinforces my thoughts about never shipping a scooter.

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

There are GOOD shipping companies for heavy/delicate equipment. But UPS is not one of them. Not supposed to give endorsements on this board, but their initials are DHL. I used to ship/recieve half-ton TV transmitters across country. Those things are VERY shock and vibration sensitive.

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

I think endorsements are perfectly fine given the nature of the gear we use and occasionally sell. Thank you Gschaut as I will remember them as a shipper option next time I ship anything of this nature.

People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot. - Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

I received a Minnis 1.5 not long ago (I think it was fedex)... poorly packaged with a couple rolls of bubble wrap wrapped around it, loosely stuffed in a home depot "moving" box... thank god it arrived with no damage. I won't take that gamble again... even if I had to drive to texas to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    PS... if anyone is traveling from WV to Florida and want to pick up a broken scooter and bring it back to me, I would greatly appreciate it!

You should've negotiated to have UPS pay to ship it back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    You should've negotiated to have UPS pay to ship it back to you.
    nahh... i've already got this guy lined up to make the delivery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ace_ventura_pet_detective_fake_picture.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	17356Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	17357

When I purchased mine I was afraid to ship. I have lost money selling items online that I thought were unbreakable. Apparently not!

People thought I was crazy driving to cave country one morning only to return the next day with my scooter but after your story I would do it all over again.

Sorry to hear from your loss, hopefully in the end they make it right.

even beyond the money... makes me sad to see the death of a fun little DPV like this. it was super fast (rewound motor), super simple and a blast to drive. Based on the damage it is probably not worth fixing but if I can get it back I'll have Curt take a look to see if it's worth it. For whatever reason I've started taking a liking to some of the older retro gear from years past...

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    even beyond the money... makes me sad to see the death of a fun little DPV like this. it was super fast (rewound motor), super simple and a blast to drive. Based on the damage it is probably not worth fixing but if I can get it back I'll have Curt take a look to see if it's worth it. For whatever reason I've started taking a liking to some of the older retro gear from years past...
    The parts are still worth something.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers