Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    The parts are still worth something.
    Said the retro gear

Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    There are GOOD shipping companies for heavy/delicate equipment. But UPS is not one of them. Not supposed to give endorsements on this board, but their initials are DHL. I used to ship/recieve half-ton TV transmitters across country. Those things are VERY shock and vibration sensitive.
    One more thought about shipping DPV's Cardboard boxes may NOT be a good idea. If you are going Fedex, UPS, USPS, you have no choice but to use boxes.

The way the PROFESSIONAL shipping companies move cargo is by Pallet. Pallets start at 24"x24" ($10) up to the standard 45"x48" and all sizes in between.

You would pick a pallet at least a few inches bigger than the longest dimenstion. Take some cheap Styrofoam and cut a "cradle" for the DPV to rest on. Use shrink wrap, saran wrap to coccoon the cargo against dirt, then strap the cargo to the pallet.

The pallet allows the "professional" trucking company to move the cargo on and off trucks by fork lift. You DO NOT need to protect the top and sides of the cargo (except shrink wrap). Nothing will be stacked on top of your cargo (unlike Fedex, UPS, et al.).

Yes, you will pay a few cents more to ship this way. But it's not really that expensive when you are moving expensive cargo.

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    There are GOOD shipping companies for heavy/delicate equipment. But UPS is not one of them. Not supposed to give endorsements on this board, but their initials are DHL. I used to ship/recieve half-ton TV transmitters across country. Those things are VERY shock and vibration sensitive.
    I'M SORRY, MY BAD.

It's been almost 4 years since I retired. I tried to go back to DHL website and get a sample rate quote for a DPV sized shipment for you to compare rates/

DHL has DROPPED domestic freight shipment within the United States. They now are doing INTERNATIONAL shipping only.

Sorry, my bad.

But if you are sending a DPV to Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, give them a call.

Ok, I will beat this dead horse one last time.

Went on line to a shipping calculator.

To use a common carrier freight company, shipping a DPV on a pallet, from Buffalo, NY to Lake City, FL.

WITH shipper dropping off at terminal, and customer picking up at terminal (saves $$$ not doing door to door).

The freight rates range from $160 to $250 depending on carrier and speed. Two day delivery an option.

In my experience there are really no issues in shipping scooters as long as the scooters are packed appropriately using a heavy box with the right packing. We ship a fair number of scooters including Alaska and Hawaii with all shippers: UPS, UPS Freight and USPS Priority. In general UPS will not take responsibility for any damage unless you can clearly show the outside of the box has been damaged. If no box damage but the item was packed poorly then you are on your own regardless of how many times it slid off the back of the truck. Pallet shipping for multiple quantities is a great option but cost is higher if you want to ship 1 unit at a time on a pallet. In fact, if you send 4 boxes on a pallet vs 4 boxes separate, the cost runs about 30% more palletized depending on destination (48x48 pallet weighs 30lbs too).
    Suggestions: find good packing material so the unit cannot move. Remove the handle or fold the handle during shipping if that is an option. Remove the batteries when shipping to reduce the weight, especially if you are sending an older, used unit with SLA. A 110lb Gavin standard is 60-70lbs of batteries. Just purchase new batteries locally. Consider a Pelican case or Action Packer ($75) and pack correctly. If you have to send batteries, make sure the unit is unplugged, cover terminals and enclose a MSDS sheet if possible. If sending li-ion, the batteries must be inside the scooter, must be labeled correctly on the outside of the box and must be sent ground or Class 9 Hazard with air cargo freight only.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Suex_Ship.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1,018.4 KB
ID:	17359

Amazing... finally got the payout from UPS... 2 months after shipping the scooter and it was like pulling teeth to get the final approval.

Again don't ship scooters... or at least don't use UPS

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

man that sucks! Sounds like that would happen to me...

[B][FONT="Century Gothic"] Steve

I bought a second hand masterline booster. It was an awesome price so I took a risk on the shipping. I made sure the seller was well aware of the problems shipping big items and to ensure he had photos the whole way through. The booster was palletized and sent via fedex freight, so hoepfully I'll be good if there's an issue. I will definitely take photos as soon as it arrives in case I open it and find a problem.

Keep all packaging and don't touch it if you suspect any damage. Snap a crap LOAD of pictures during the unpacking process unroll you're sure it's good to go

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk