Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Stealth 2.0 + accessories

Hey, I'm looking for some "best practice" advice. I've recently started playing around with sidemount, but I can't really find a good solution on where to place my cannister and argon bottle.

Anyone have clever ideas that do not limit mobility too much?

Most people put the canister on the crotch strap below the butt d-ring. The few times I've brought an argon bottle with me, I've strapped it to one of the SM tanks with a pony kit. This was awkward but it got me through the dives. I've seen photos of people putting an argon bottle under the wing along the spine pouch.

There's a guy on the stealth 2.0 facebook page that sells some cool hardware for mounting under the wing. I bought a set but haven't used them yet. I butt mount my light but plan to use his hardware for an argon bottle and possible a heating canister one day.

FB link (not sure if it'll work). If it does, scroll down a bit and you'll find his post. I messaged him directly on fb.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stealth20/

Youtube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk1f...ature=youtu.be

I bought directly from the guy who makes them. They're very affordable. Takes about 4 weeks to arrive from Europe. They're very very well made and sturdy.

My buddy uses a Stealth Tec harness and keeps his light canister under the wing. He says it's comfy and doesn't annoy even when the wing is full'ish. I believe he has his argon bottle on the waist belt during the winter months.

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

I forgot to mention that I also added bungee loops to the spine pockets so that I could hang a cannister under the wing. I tried it a few times. It worked well, but makes the wing stick out a little more. The main reason I butt mounted is if I ever decide to go through something tight(which I rarely do), being mounted on my spine could lead to getting stuck. At least butt mounted I can remove the can. Unless you plan to do anything tight, mounting on the spine works.

If needed I can snap photos of what I did.

Put the can on your hip like backmount. It will sit in the crook of the tank if the tanks ride correctly and won't add to your profile. Then if you have a butt plate you can use bungee (surgical tubing works better) to hang the tank below your butt. If it sits below your cheeks it won't add to your profile either.

Putting stuff along the spine or under the wing adds profile to your back. Kinda defeats the purpose of sidemount. If you're not doing small why not dive backmount in the first place.

Dive Safe,
    Frank

Thanks, I ordered this. Looks like an excellent solution where I can get both items stuffed under the wing. Apparently he can deliver in 5 days since I'm also in Europe, so looking forward to trying this out.

Edit: I mean this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk1f...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for all the replies

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    Put the can on your hip like backmount. It will sit in the crook of the tank if the tanks ride correctly and won't add to your profile. Then if you have a butt plate you can use bungee (surgical tubing works better) to hang the tank below your butt. If it sits below your cheeks it won't add to your profile either.

Putting stuff along the spine or under the wing adds profile to your back. Kinda defeats the purpose of sidemount. If you're not doing small why not dive backmount in the first place.
    I agree it semi-defeats the purpose of sidemount, if you're diving tight cave. I tried it on the hip and wasn't a fan. On top of that, many of us have drings on the waist belt permanantly for al80 dives as it's not convenient to hip mount.

As to the why not dive backmount, it seems like that's people's go to comment nowadays. I am proficient in both, but am more comfrotable and proficient diving sidemount. I could do both, but choose one. No different than someone choosing to dive backmount. It's a nonsensical argument. People need to get used to the fact that diving a sidemount system has become a normal option just like backmount has.

As for my reason for not diving back mount where profile isn't an issue, my shoulders are quite messed up after years of BJJ, and I can't do a simple valve drill with a twinset without being in significant pain. That's not... ideal In summary, sidemount has made diving both much more comfortable and safer for me.