Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Undersea Oxygen Clinic - New Chamber Available in Tampa

I recently attended a seminar at Adventure Outfitters in Tampa. Joe Dituri discussed diving physiology and review his Undersea Oxygen Clinic in Tampa. It is now open and is a DAN Treatment Center.

Seminar Overview - https://adventuretampa.com/tampas-un...oxygen-clinic/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/underseaoxygenclinic/

This is great news for diving all over Florida!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Pickel View Post
    I recently attended a seminar at Adventure Outfitters in Tampa. Joe Dituri discussed diving physiology and review his Undersea Oxygen Clinic in Tampa. It is now open and is a DAN Treatment Center.

Seminar Overview - https://adventuretampa.com/tampas-un...oxygen-clinic/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/underseaoxygenclinic/

This is great news for diving all over Florida!
    This is a silly question, will they treat divers? There are a lot of places that DAN has on their database,but aren't available to treat dive injuries. Thanks for sharing

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    This is a silly question, will they treat divers?
    Yes, and they already have. Joe is a former US Navy saturation diver and one of the inventors of the NEWT suit

Fantastic news! where was this when I needed it in June!

Now the question is will DAN require you to go to an ER first or not. Last year I did two standard dives at Ginnie over two days. The first day I had some minor bruising around my shoulder. I thought it was from my harness. The second day the bruising worsened and my vision on the drive home was a little "starry". Late that evening when I figured it out, I called DAN who recommended an ER trip. I couldn't lose two days of work on short notice, so I chose to sit it out and take a month off of diving. The real issue was the ER visit. I knew I'd sit in the ER for 8 hours trying to get sent to a non-existent chamber facility. So with this new facility, can DAN refer you straight there if you have no concerning symptoms or does an ER visit always have to happen first in order for DAN to pay for it.

Which lends the question- does the chamber in Tampa have a Hospital/ER that acts as it's Medical Director?

If you don't really need an ER, you can be driven to Tampa, check into the chamber's affiliated ER, and hopefully be sent directly to the chamber by ER doctors who are familiar with chamber protocols???

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

This is what there FB page states

Our team is available to ALL Florida Divers 24/7/365. Any diving injuries should call (727) 542-1959. While others are closing chambers to divers, we are opening them! - DAN approved referral Center!

Default DAN still has their standard protocol of an ER visit first.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Pickel View Post
    This is what there FB page states; Our team is available to ALL Florida Divers 24/7/365. Any diving injuries should call (727) 542-1959. While others are closing chambers to divers, we are opening them! - DAN approved referral Center!

They may say anything they so choose, however, DAN still has their SOP which includes ruling out other medical issues and safe medical transport to an HBOT facility if required.

There is a DAN link in the article that specifically identifies this fact. Only DAN can authorize HBOT treatment if you expect them to pay for it, unless I'm mistaken. Has anyone had a treatment covered when DAN wasn't directly involved from the start?

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/m...on_Information

I'll try to contact DAN later today to confirm.

Last edited by Michael F; 10-06-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: fix quote
    The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Now the question is will DAN require you to go to an ER first or not. Last year I did two standard dives at Ginnie over two days. The first day I had some minor bruising around my shoulder. I thought it was from my harness. The second day the bruising worsened and my vision on the drive home was a little "starry". Late that evening when I figured it out, I called DAN who recommended an ER trip. I couldn't lose two days of work on short notice, so I chose to sit it out and take a month off of diving. The real issue was the ER visit. I knew I'd sit in the ER for 8 hours trying to get sent to a non-existent chamber facility. So with this new facility, can DAN refer you straight there if you have no concerning symptoms or does an ER visit always have to happen first in order for DAN to pay for it.
    I had a similar experience and DAN instructed me to visit an ER. My team and I elected for in water re-compression instead. Wayne has O2 available 24/7. Thanks again Wayne.

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

If you need treatment, call 911 after DAN and take the ambulance there. That seems to help get in a chamber quickly. DCS often doesn't produce obvious physical symptoms and ER staff may not realize it can be life threatening, unfortunately you have to make them realize it.