Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Diving in Sicily?

I'll be in Catania Sicily next week and would like to go diving! Open water only I assume

Anyone have any experience there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to work in Catania for several years (communting in from Germany).
    Here and there I managed to stay over the weekends and get some diving done.

Within the Catania area AciTrezza is nice.
    Unfortunately I cant find the dive center anymore I used to dive with. Maybe they have seized business as their website disappeared.
    Would not be too surprising because they had been struggling for years.
    info@isoledeiciclopidiver.com is their email worth a try for sure.
    They had a license to dive the Isole dei Cyclopi. And that is the dive I would recommend. It is a protected area right at the "beach" (it is rock) of AciTrezza. It is land based entrance, but you have to go with a licenced guide and they are rare. It offers swimthroughs and great colors (mainly sponges)
    Other than Aci Trezza in Catania
    If you drive a bit further north to Taormina, there is the diveshop divesicily. It is directly at the beach in Taormina and the owner is really easy going. Nice dive sites out there as well..

And yes sure only open water diving and ?generally catering to tourist beginners, so don't set expectations too high..
    Dives will be short and regulated..
    More easy going if he is not too busy with other guests is Alex in Taormina. If you are the only diver at least he is giving you the dive according to your likes..

Thank you!!

Hey Moonfuzzy,

It's been about 35 years since I dove in Sicily, but here are a couple of good spots, Aci Trezza, already outlined by Nitrogenius.

The other one is Brucoli, South of Catania, just north of Augusta bay. Not sure what it's like now, but if you are interested in diving lava tubes, there are (were) some interesting ones there, At the time (late 70s) I was not Cave certified, but one of the lava caves went further than I dared enter.

There is also a wreck in about 80 ft of water (the only way to know there was a wreck is from a pile of amphora).

Quote Originally Posted by Moonfuzzy View Post
    I'll be in Catania Sicily next week and would like to go diving! Open water only I assume

Anyone have any experience there?