Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

You might want to consider turning the dive next time Forest. Trying to breathe against a laryngeal spasm can cause negative pressure pulmonary edema. You had your age going for you. A younger diver of 20 could have enough diaphragm muscle to trigger negative pressure pulmonary edema where you actually suck blood from your capillaries into your lungs. This also happens during emergence from anesthesia.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    You might want to consider turning the dive next time Forest. Trying to breathe against a laryngeal spasm can cause negative pressure pulmonary edema. You had your age going for you. A younger diver of 20 could have enough diaphragm muscle to trigger negative pressure pulmonary edema where you actually suck blood from your capillaries into your lungs. This also happens during emergence from anesthesia.
    I didn't have to inhale all that hard. At first I thought it was a regulator problem, then I purged, and didn't have to inhale hard since the purge was pushing gas into my lungs.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I've had the same thing happen to me a couple times. It is very unnerving. I thought I was going to drown and the most awful thought occurred to me that I was going to drown with full tanks. Fortunately with my medical training I knew what was happening so I relaxed and didn't panic and purged the regulator like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by TracyN View Post
    I've had the same thing happen to me a couple times. It is very unnerving. I thought I was going to drown and the most awful thought occurred to me that I was going to drown with full tanks. Fortunately with my medical training I knew what was happening so I relaxed and didn't panic and purged the regulator like you did.
    What brought it on? Mine was obvious, I inhaled water.

Sump Divers

Hell's bells! Glad you're OK, Forrest.

Barbara/San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by cavedivingwoman View Post
    Hell's bells! Glad you're OK, Forrest.
    Thanks.

Sump Divers

My close one was when I inhaled a duckweed(!!) in OG. the thing waited in my 2nd stage and dislodged after a few minutes of diving (i guess it dried and got light enough to fly from inside the 2nd stage and right into my lounges.
    Had a few good coughs and it was out. i was very happy to be on my G250 to give me that great amount of air with no water on the recovery deep breaths.
    fortunately it happend right under Sue sink so i had also the option to surface there.
    Since then I relay pay close attention on where are my 2nd stages when I kit up, and I give a good purge every Reg before any Reg swap (not only breath out)...
    after that dive - I opend my other 2nd stages. saw a few more Duckweeds in them.