Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

11,528' is the current distance. We haven't been back in the system since 2014 (we've been focused on Maramec Spring and Blue Spring). We do have a new map, but unfortunately it wasn't available for the MidWest conference. I wrote an article a few months back on the most recent Roub exploration efforts. It was published in the NSS magazine and was supposed to be in the CDS mag, but not sure if that ever happened. The new map was published with the article in the NSS magazine. BTW, that was a 15 hr dive for the push team. Our whole team was on-site for 20 hours to pull off that project. Future pushes will require logistics such as another habitat at the 70' depth and probably staging RBs for deco. As always, the biggest factor is dealing with the cold water and long deco. I'll see if I can put a pic of the new map on here.

Chris Hill
    www.ocda.org

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives." William Wallace - Braveheart

Default Roubidoux extents as of Dec 2014

This map will give you an idea of where Roub has been mapped/explored to, and what direction its headed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	roub map inset.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	17320  

Chris Hill
    www.ocda.org

Btw, the 11,528 is just the length of the main conduit. It doesn't include the Finger Tunnel or Picnic Loop. Those would add 500 to 600 more feet.

Chris Hill
    www.ocda.org

Chris, Has there been any confirmation of the accuracy of the overlay? Have there been any land marks or signals to confirm the map. I am in awe of the distance and the work that has gone into pushing R. Just wonder if anyone was able to verify Michael's original work and the accuracy of the original data points. I don't really know how you would do that with certainty...forge on guys. Stay warm! Be safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Tom, we haven't done any real work to validate the accuracy of the map. From our work mapping the new Finger Loop, we did observe that a corner of that is most likely under the nearby campground, where a small spring exists. Also, sometime back, we were working with a person who had developed a device to track divers from the topside. This had promise, but we eventually had to return the device and no further work has been conducted. As you know, trying to validate the map accuracy, would probably be quite an undertaking. Maybe you just found a new project! LOL.

Chris Hill
    www.ocda.org

you can reach out to KUR guys in FL for radio locate assistance

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Chris Hill
    www.ocda.org

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    or build one. I don't think the plans are proprietary.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    or build one. I don't think the plans are proprietary.
    While they're not proprietary or impossible to make, building one is definitely hard. Borrowing one would definitely be the easy button. I'm betting you could even get somebody from KUR or elsewhere to come to Missouri to help you run it.

For those that want to build one, look in the back-issues of speleonics or here: http://radiolocation.tripod.com

Pease's website says he's swithcing to a different provider soon, so if the above doesn't work then go here:
    http://radiolocation.weebly.com

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by chilldive View Post
    Thanks for the info. Good to know.
    Chris, I have one, and would be willing to go to MO to do the surface locate, as long as OCDA takes it into the cave

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers