Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Purging tanks for surface shipment overseas--certified purged by dive shop?

I'm shipping some tanks, surface (as in on a boat) as household goods, among household goods-- as I understand, to do it "by the book" and not have to pull the valves off, I gotta have them "certified" purged by a dive shop, and they have to have less than 25 psi in them. Looks like I need to dive them and drain them...the sticker is another story.

Anyone got experience with this? Do dive shops usually carry a sticker for this? and I am hoping that they don't charge very much (or anything) for the arduous work involved in checking the psi on a tank. I suppose the sticker will cost something.

Thanks in advance for any useful help.

I shipped a tank from Iceland to U.S. Just removed the valve and replaced it with a plug.
    Went to post office and it arrived no issues.

Why waste the time and money when you can pull the valve. Even better, get them vipped, ask them not to fill them and plug them, and then add your valves when they arrive. You'll have a fresh vip at your destination. Unless wherever your going doesn't require a vip, then I'd say just pull the valves.

Nobody has a certified purged sticker. OK most nobody.

That's a good idea--Rdvet. Just hyrdo'ed /vip'ed them in January or Feb...Suppose a new VIP wouldn't kill me. Yeah I've never seen such a sticker -- one shipper I talked to says that's the deal.

My experience is that VIP and Hydro are not as closely adhered to in the Western Pacific.

I would say save the VIP for after it arrives at the destination in case something happens to it in transit. Just remove the valve and wrap it VERY well (or send separately) to prevent damage and ship the tank plugged. Shipping centers don't like stuff that might go boom, so tanks need to be empty for transit anyway.

Did not happen to me, but I heard about a diver who's tanks had valves REMOVED, and TSA refused to allow them to fly because the diver could not "prove" that there was no pressure in the tank.

There are lots of great ideas about shipping tanks, but nothing is fool-proof because fools (TSA) are so ingenious.

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    Did not happen to me, but I heard about a diver who's tanks had valves REMOVED, and TSA refused to allow them to fly because the diver could not "prove" that there was no pressure in the tank.

There are lots of great ideas about shipping tanks, but nothing is fool-proof because fools (TSA) are so ingenious.
    I heard a similar story where someone had to pull the tank plugs, reinsert a valve and open it to prove that there was no pressure in the tank. TSA is funny sometimes.

Hopefully TSA won't get involved, the tanks and the rest of my stuff are going by sea, and tanks will be in a closed basket. I chatted with DGX to see if they had plugs, they said just get if VIP'ed and the dive shop should give you plugs for free since they get tanks shipped in with no valves. Don't know if my LDS will do that, but... I'm sure I can find somebody as I progress southward to towns with more than one dive shop.

Funny TSA stories... sadly, I believe it. We've probably all got a TSA cave light story.

Don't know if I can get these tanks VIP'ed in Saipan. When I lived in Palau and American Samoa, VIPing wasn't a "thing." Forget Hydro.

Apparently, if you're outside North America, you can take the course as a correspondence course (after paying $450)...http://www.psicylinders.com/8-traini...correspondence.

Thanks for suggestions. Moving sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post

The way I heard the story is that TSA wanted proof of zero pressure in the tank that had no valve in it, so the guy put the valve on, attached his reg, turned the knob, showed the pressure gauge did not move, took it all apart, everybody was happy. Jeez.

The cylinders just need to have less than 27psi so they are not considered HAZMAT. I have provided letters for customers on official dive shop letterhead to certify cylinders as empty and fit for transport after plugging and removal of the valves. That seems to satisfy most moving companies. I have had heated debates with government contracted shipping companies about fitness to ship overseas with plugged cylinders. I also had a debate with one moving company about fitness to ship with a valve in one hand and a flashlight in the other looking into empty cylinders. Ambient pressure at 14.7psi is less than 27psi so not HAZMAT.
    Hope that helps!

PSI Inspector
    DOT Hydrostatic Test Facility Manager
    Dive Shop Monkey for 20 plus years