Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please Help.

Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by Benderr View Post
    Aside from that, I'd much rather dive Jupiter, Pompano, Lauderdale, Panhandle, than anything in the Keys, mostly for the same reasons as stated by others above.
    Yes in an earlier study we found that most people diving the wrecks and reefs on the big charter boast out of Key Largo and Key West and points in between were not from Florida. or nearby SE states.

"With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

"Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

No status bar? Holy survey fatigue

I filled it out. I pretended I didn't own a boat, but I suspect the majority visiting looe or sombrero are using their own boat.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    No status bar? Holy survey fatigue

I filled it out. I pretended I didn't own a boat, but I suspect the majority visiting looe or sombrero are using their own boat.
    Yes, I realize that those completing the survey here are not in our sample frame, we are just trying to get a response to the survey design. Thanks. Bill

"With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Yes, I realize that those completing the survey here are not in our sample frame, we are just trying to get a response to the survey design. Thanks. Bill
    I think James hit the nail on the head though. Most everyone from this forum that will respond either has, or has access to a boat, so the ones specific to getting a dive charter are tough to answer when the choice is pay someone for a charter, or not go

Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    I think James hit the nail on the head though. Most everyone from this forum that will respond either has, or has access to a boat, so the ones specific to getting a dive charter are tough to answer when the choice is pay someone for a charter, or not go
    Even if you have a boat or have access there's still a price being paid,. We are just looking to see if the survey works We might add a question about alternative access methods. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    @benderr that was more tongue in cheek than anything serious.... though the colder months is when I think most of us try to get out there which probably doesn't help
    Sorry about that.

H2O Below probably runs more Oriskany trips than anyone else, but Doug usually shuts down for hunting season, and maintenance during the cooler months. Most of the 6-packs still run, but they're smaller boats. Reef Cleaner is a bigger boat that's now running tech trips, and they look to be staying open over the slow season.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Even if you have a boat or have access there's still a price being paid,. We are just looking to see if the survey works We might add a question about alternative access methods. Thanks.
    Every time I take my own boat I can't help but think about all the $$$ I would have saved going out on a charter

$25-50/nt docking fee
    More expensive hotels because of the dock requirement
    2x gas cost towing the boat vs using my wife's civic
    $3/gallon ethanol free gas for the boat
    Hours towards the annual service (around $2-3/hr of operation)

Worth it for other reasons, but from strictly the economical point of view, it's stupid.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.