Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Ginnie

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    Yep, sometimes that "clearly solid rock" turns out to actually be clay.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    If you can't tell the difference between a bleached rock that has been manhandled by others and a clay bank then don't touch anything.

Ken Sallot

It's always amusing to me when old timers attempt to pass the logic that cave conservation was taught more back in the day. I took an intro to cave class from a prior NACD president (who was absolutely an old timer) less than 10 years ago who taught the "Little River Leap", where you kick off the cave walls the way a frog would.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    It's always amusing to me when old timers attempt to pass the logic that cave conservation was taught more back in the day. I took an intro to cave class from a prior NACD president (who was absolutely an old timer) less than 10 years ago who taught the "Little River Leap", where you kick off the cave walls the way a frog would.
    That same guy taught me that same trick in 1994.

Ken Sallot

Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    There are several phases. Actual old timers were for whom cave conservation was nonexistent. This can be surmised by reading some of the old literature with things like the LR leap, finger walking etc. Somewhere with the formation of development of agencies such as the NACD and NSS_CDS, this mission became a little more defined and entered the training standards and material. But, with the data from a survey that was conducted recently, with adequate population base of respondents to assess statistical significance, there were some patterns that arose that demonstrated less than adequate cave conservation training, especially with some agencies in particular. Hence to address your comment, it was nonexistent, then we had improved training in cave conservation,but data suggests we have digressed.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick