• Yes

69 88.46%
  • No

9 11.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I would say that many of the gold line T's in the back of JB could be improved. There are several up on the ceiling and the gold line back there is smaller and stained so that the stained T'd in lines look similar especially on a scooter.
    Yes, and I have been tricked into following a side lead, because it looked like goldline.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by pink arrows View Post

I can't think of any gold line Ts in Florida caves that are "very bad and dangerous". Anyway, back to my original point, which has nothing to do with whether or not Ts should exist....

Richard, I drew you an artistic rendition of what the line looked like at the time of my dive. Blue line is the existing line. Green was the line that was there on precious dives but was cut out. The arrow on the side tied off to the rock shouldn't have been there.

None of this matters. It wasn't a big deal. I was just curious about whether or the change was posted since there had been some discussion on this particular spot.
    Makes more sense despite your channeling jackson pollock. Why would they cut it back there and not just remove it at the mainline. Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by pink arrows View Post
    But cutting a T out from a place where it actually makes sense just feels like an ego move. I was wondering of the white knight had posted it anywhere or just went for it.
    Ego move, probably not, possibly something that can be understood with a Myers-Briggs. Someone changes a line, and someone else gets upset and changes it back-has happened a lot in the past and result can be line wars. I would just be highly attentive because based on philosophies etc, things change a lot. My favorite is the permanent versus temporary line arrows, and the temporary line arrows point in the direction of my travel ,even though they contradict the existing line arrows.

Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 02-28-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Default Public annoucement of line changes

Why would someone point arrows in the direction they travel? Contraindicated from what is taught in class. That is scary to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    And speaking of line changes announcements, I heard that the Sweet Passage line in JB is now a continuous circuit, with the line coming from the left being extended and T'd into the line coming from the right, close to the far end, thus obviating the need for a jump reel in the low and silty areas at both ends. I did not verify that.
    Is this the first circuit you come to in JB?

roadkill

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Why would someone point arrows in the direction they travel? Contraindicated from what is taught in class. That is scary to me

There are people that are teaching this, and there are cave divers that have been taught this, and swear it is the gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    There are people that are teaching this, and there are cave divers that have been taught this, and swear it is the gospel.
    That?s crazy! Someone could die. What book are they using?

roadkill

That?s crazy! Someone could die. What book are they using?

Don't know. I read this frequently on Scubaboard's cave diving subforum. Usually the comment is prefaced by, "I was taught" or "My instructor taught me". There is some argument that there are permanent line arrows and personal line arrows that people have marked in some way. The rationale that a personal line arrow can contradict a permanent line arrow, especially if an exit up ahead hasn't been verified. My thoughts, in a lights out, or zero viz situation, especially when you are stressed, nobody will tell the difference between permanent and personal line arrows. Conventional wisdom is that all line arrows should be consistent, and use nondirectional markers for something different.

Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 06-04-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Don't know. I read this frequently on Scubaboard's cave diving subforum. Usually the comment is prefaced by, "I was taught" or "My instructor taught me". There is some argument that there are permanent line arrows and personal line arrows that people have marked in some way. The rationale that a personal line arrow can contradict a permanent line arrow, especially if an exit up ahead hasn't been verified. My thoughts, in a lights out, or zero viz situation, especially when you are stressed, nobody will tell the difference between permanent and personal line arrows. Conventional wisdom is that all lines should be consistent, and use nondirectional markers for something different.
    Totally agree

roadkill

We had this happen on a recent dive in Peacock a month or so ago. We entered P1 planning to do the wishbone circuit. At some point we came across an arrow facing the opposite direction and didn't think much of it. Then the arrow, shortly after, switched back to the original, exiting direction. This was a bit confusing but the whole team noticed and confirmed the arrow changes. Later on we were hanging out at Dive Outpost and asked DJ and he said sometimes you find this. It was not a big deal since we all noticed it but I could see this causing confusion if it were missed or even worse finding this in zero visibility. I don't understand the logic behind doing this at all.