48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 85.42%
  • No

7 14.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DeadHeadDiver View Post
    Posting on the Interwebs is reasonable, but not everyone checks Facebook / Forums etc. What's wrong with a written notice posted at the site? What the change was, who made it and why.
    The potential problem would be somewhere like Little River, which would be an invitation by the locals to remove it. Generally most of us go by shops, and some notice there would be good. Nothing will be 100% foolproof,but need to start somewhere.

Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 09-12-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by DeadHeadDiver View Post
    Posting on the Interwebs is reasonable, but not everyone checks Facebook / Forums etc. What's wrong with a written notice posted at the site? What the change was, who made it and why.
    Then not everyone gets the information, pretty simple, right?

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    With exception of repairing a line, or correcting a safety issue.. I don't think the average joe-cave diver should be messing around with permanent lines in caves. If there is a good reason to make a change, it should be made public.
    Agreed.

If you're diving and the line has been changed from what you remember, you should have the skills and equipment to maintain a continuous line and to mark any points of potential confusion. Or if it's making you uncomfortable, turn the dive.

Last edited by Sludge; 09-16-2017 at 11:26 PM. Reason: removed profanity from quote

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Eternal View Post
    Something like this would be good for those of us who are not local and only make it over a few times a year. My question is what is the best means of actually getting this information out? On here? A specific page on Facebook people follow?
    Actually I would expect the information to be more valuable to the locals than those making it few times a year.
    When I get to a cave site after a long period I would NEVER expect the cave to be exactly as I remember it, so why would a change notice be important.
    Essentially if I don't dive a cave frequently I will dive it as I am diving it for the first time. In a first time cave it really don't matter how the line is actually routed, does it?

For the locals and frequent visitors complacency is much more likely and an "expectation" that the cave should be as known, there I can see how an unannounced change could actually cause real issues, if the diver did not pay full attention because of a certain "expectation"..