Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Don't underestimate a Cat 5 Hurricane. I drove to New Orleans shortly after Camille in 1969. That was the first Cat 5 to hit the US. The storm surge flipped US 90 upside down for miles along the Mississippi coast. It tore the entire front off the high rise hotels, and killed 143 along the Gulf Coast.
    I lived in mississippi for years and everything was hurricane betsy and camille. Most of the gift and souvenir shops were themed that way. But then they got destroyed by katrina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew hit South Fla as a Cat5 storm. I drove through Homestead a few months after the storm on my way to the keys. I was really not prepared for the carnage I saw there. One thing I remember.. I thought I was driving by a trash dump until I saw the concrete neighborhood sign for "XYZ.. Mobile Home Community"... And all the damaged traditional homes.. several with "You Loot, I Shoot" spray painted on the fronts..

I sure hope this deflates fast...

I remember Camille. It was the first disastrous event in my memory. Back then there was limited response because that much fewer people and the only first responders were in municipalities. Those poor folks had nothing left. I remember the governor waving pretty much all commercial truck regulation so they could run day and night with house trailers and other restricted loads. The plants above me turned out about 15 a day and they came by at 9 to 10 PM headed for the coast. Every grocery store had a trailer sitting outside their front door where people could drop off food and clothes. When it was full a truck brought an empty trailer and took the full one south. That went on for weeks.the one weird thing that sticks to me was the guy at a house planning to stick it out. The rain was blowing and the news guy told him he needs to go. We are riding it out he said. After Camille nothing was left of his house, himself or his companions was the house formations.
    Funny how the stuff still is as vivid as daylight.

Why is cave diving so internet based?

Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    Andrew hit South Fla as a Cat5 storm. I drove through Homestead a few months after the storm on my way to the keys. I was really not prepared for the carnage I saw there. One thing I remember.. I thought I was driving by a trash dump until I saw the concrete neighborhood sign for "XYZ.. Mobile Home Community"... And all the damaged traditional homes.. several with "You Loot, I Shoot" spray painted on the fronts..

I sure hope this deflates fast...
    Sadly the Mississippi gulf coast is still like that since Katrina. You drive through and wonder how the hell it hasn't been cleaned up yet.

Honorary Member

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Sadly the Mississippi gulf coast is still like that since Katrina. You drive through and wonder how the hell it hasn't been cleaned up yet.
    People didn't take flood insurance. Too many think the government will "take care of them".

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    People didn't take flood insurance. Too many think the government will "take care of them".
    I can tell you've never lived there and don't know what you're talking about as usual. As someone who actually has a large number of family and friends that lived there, that is only a minor factor. Major factors for the Mississippi gulf coast being left barely rebuilt are the large numbers living in poverty, people not wanting to move back to the area, a flood of horrible new building codes, and a poor infrastructure. People not having flood insurance is the go to people that don't know what they're talking about say because they heard it on the news. My father as well as my childhood friend both lived in a nonflood zone in Bay St Louis MS. Both had voluntary flood insurance (it wasn't required). My dad's house was under 9 ft of water and sustained wind damage. My friends house destroyed. Because the insurers kept battling back and forth between is it flood vs wind damage, it was years and in one case a lawsuit, before they received insurance money. FEMA gave out money quickly. One of the major factors of many people I personally know in the area for not rebuilding is the extremely slow insurance process combined with exceptionally poor state and local government response in rebuilding infrastructure.

Good luck, folks. The satellite pics are looking narley. Hope it's not gonna be too bad.

The SE coast of Florida is probably better prepared for a major hurricane then anywhere else. The building codes are very strict and most buildings which were weak have been destroyed over the last decade of hurricanes. That is for wind damage. Storm surge is another story.
    The local authorities have been telling people to leave since last weekend and the exodus has been incredible. Millions have left and continue to leave. It is an entirely different story when you watch the county and state authorities as opposed to national stations. The Governor and counties have a well rehearsed and well proven script and don't mince words. Pretty much it has been get the eff out as soon as you can. Florida is the polar opposite of New Orleans and Louisiana when it comes to hurricane response.
    It looks like Irma is going to hit some areas as a cat 4 that have never experienced a storm this big. It will be a mess.
    Non native trees covered in leaves will be a big problem. Pretty for landscaping purposes but they catch the wind and are not anchored well in sandy soil. I have seen my coconut and queen palms bend almost double and spring back.
    Some of the infrastructure like power and such in some of these areas likely has not been hardened like it has in areas on the east coast.
    Expect long power outages because of trees and old transmission lines.
    Floridians also have a realistic expectation of what FEMA and the feds can do. It is up to the state and counties to prepare facilities for them to show up after the storm. And they do, with ice, water, cash and possibly trailers, generators etc, but the state and counties are responsible for prepping for that.
    The feds do everything they can, like coordinating lifting trucking regulations to get water and gas in before and after a storm, staging supplies as close as they can outside the path of the storm.
    I hope it keeps pushing west a bit. Every 10-20 mile move west will make a significant difference along the coast.

Last fall Matthew was a Cat 4 aimed to make landfall in my area but jogged east about 20 miles literally hours before it was supposed to hit. We lucked out getting only glancing cat 2-3 winds with the higher ones being further up the coast.

"Is this thing on?"

I finished work last night in Georgia for the week and drove back home to north FL. Southbound lanes on 75 had more people on it than I expected, although a lot of it seemed to be out-of-state utility trucks heading down to help.
    North-bound 75 was pretty much a mess from the Atlanta area down to Gainesville with minor exceptions.

Who's the play by play announcer? Jon is the color commentator. With his Lee Corso mask on.

Why is cave diving so internet based?