Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Godzilla Room circuit question

At the bottom of Godzilla Room there are back to back arrows, hinting at equal distance both ways from that point to the nearest exit. But upstream the circuit is not a continuous line unless a gap line was placed on the way in. Is this acceptable practice?

I remember it being a jump... but it's been a while.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK

You are right it isn't a continuous line and that technically is not correct. I do recall a discussion erupted here or another forum on this topic, with two different thoughts. Since an accident was facilitated at Madison with a line arrow placed the wrong direction (at least that is the theory based on dive computer info), being consistent is important versus quirky.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I was there a few weeks ago and was puzzled by the double arrows also.

I brought it up in this forum a few years ago.

Needs to be removed IMHO.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    I was there a few weeks ago and was puzzled by the double arrows also.

I brought it up in this forum a few years ago.

Needs to be removed IMHO.

TF
    I think the most practical solution would be extending the end of the line to T into where the double arrows are, at 600 ft mark.
    That would eliminate the need for a jump, just drop a cookie and pick a side to go. Less chance of silting up the place or messing up the floor by your waiting buddies or yourself while placing the jump.

Is every arrow right at the last tie in and pointing at the very beginning/end of every jump wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I think the most practical solution would be extending the end of the line to T into[...]
    He said... Never mind

I think the most practical solution would be extending the end of the line to T into where the double arrows are, at 600 ft mark.
    That would eliminate the need for a jump, just drop a cookie and pick a side to go. Less chance of silting up the place or messing up the floor by your waiting buddies or yourself while placing the jump.
    Good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    He said... Never mind

Jehovah!

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Let me share some history with you guys. Back in the early 90's, when the Bruic's owned the place, it was suggested that the current configuration, that exists today, be changed into one continuous line. Obviously, this would require a T where the jump is, and here's where Mike Bruic drew the line in the sand, so to speak. One of his arguments was, that some divers might decide to swim the circuit "counterclockwise", which, in his opinion, was the more difficult path in terms of silting and so on. That is true to some extent but if you're a certified Full Cave diver doing that circuit, then deal with it! One other argument that has some merit--- As you swim out of the Godzilla Room, there are TWO jumps off to your left that are difficult to see. This is because most divers are keeping their eye on the line, which has always been on the right side of the passage. ( and still is ) There is almost always silt in this area so seeing that line off to your left is not on your agenda! I can see where swimming counterclock wise could possibly put you on this line if you weren't paying attention. So there you have it. History from the early 90's. What do we do now?? Other than getting rid of the double arrows, leave the line "as is" One's mans opinion here!!