Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Maybe instead of saying that that's how things were done for decades, we should look instead at what would be the safer way of using the markers on non-goldline lines.
    What are the benefits of back to back arrows on such lines? You know when you reach the mid point of that line (speaking of Ginnie's Double Lines, not the case with Godzilla circuit, where the back to back arrows are very close to the far end). Is that helpful? Some may say yes, some not. But being at mid point does not necessarily mean equal distance to the nearest exit, so one may get confused (in the hypothetical case of zero viz and tight on gas) and go the longer route. Would all arrows pointing towards the end of the line closer to the exit help? Again, some might disagree, but knowing that the arrows are always oriented towards the end that's closer to the exit might be the safer way. Easier to remember which way the arrows were pointing at any time, rather than both the way they were pointing AND if you passed midpoint or not. Plus we can make it more of an exact science
    Just saying.
    I understand what you are saying, and I understand what Brent is saying. There are places where I don't agree with the line arrows,but have learned to let sleeping dogs lay. There are some people who are quite exuberant that nothing changes, and something is changed, they will change it back, and this process of change/change back becomes a safety issue. This "battle" has occurred at places like Ginnie, Little River, Peacock, and a bunch in Mexico. The net effect this has put some teams in danger, and has resulted in a fatality. There is reason some cave systems have developed "line committees" and the reason it was a means to find agreement and safety, and bringing constant change to an end.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Microwaving more popcorn....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

LOL Tony...

Safe diving,

Rich

P.S. We need some more "Bermie" arrows...

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Microwaving more popcorn....

Hey , that sounds tasty !!!
    I think I will go and microwave some myself

Jeano

Oh Lord , keep us safe , ALWAYS safe , and keep ME PRUDENT , ALWAYS PRUDENT !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    LOL Tony...

Safe diving,

Rich

P.S. We need some more "Bermie" arrows...
    Yes we do!

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

Yes we do!

Come on Tony, lets do it old school and have some Jiffy Pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Come on Tony, lets do it old school and have some Jiffy Pop.
    Love me some Jiffy Pop over an open fire!

Earnest Shackleton

Love me some Jiffy Pop over an open fire!

Me too, I vote you to hold the wire handles.

Earnest Shackleton

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    But I guess most people that are new to the circuit (like I was) and doing it for the first time, would just keep going until the end of the line and then decide to go back the same way, since they didn't know where to gap the line on the way in. If this was a team of 3 or 4, I bet the return leg is done in less than ideal, if not very poor viz. And that would make it much more likely to get in trouble. My opinion.
    This is exactly what I did this morning on my first dive in the Godzilla circuit. I was leading the dive and got to the end of the line and could see the jump down the slope. I was 99.999% sure that the jump was back to the line we came in on but we decided to play it safe and go back around counterclockwise. We didn't have any sitting issues on the way back, but we were only a two man team.

I didn't notice the opposite arrows at the bottom of the Godzilla room, but maybe someone already removed them or I was just distracted by the Godzilla and dinosaur tied on the line. All in all it was a great dive and now I will know how to complete the circuit.