Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Waterhole III?

Having swam many times from P1, jump to Waterhole, look up and see the daylight etc, there is absolutely no way I'd ever trust those logs to not collapse into the system, ijs... It's an easy dive on LP85's anyways, why would you want to struggle through all the mosquitos and deal with it?

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schofield View Post
    I walked over to the Waterhole III surface area (near P1) just a few months ago and it looked like it wouldn't be hard to enter. Also, I didn't see any signs stating not to enter. So, just so that I'm clear, are you saying that it is not possible to enter at Waterhole III? Or, another way to put it, if I swam all the way down the waterhole tunnel and had an emergency, would I be able to exit there?
    And, I saw reference to WHII above. Was that a typo or is that another area that's not on my map?
    Yes, emergency egress is allowed at Olsen, Waterhole and Cisteen. Pothole has been defined as an emergency egress point,but the ascent line was removed because the bank has pulled away from the sink, and is sliding down into the opening. Pothole sometime in the future will probably become choked out. There is an instructor that feels compelled to enter at Cisteen, and the students have the impression that it is okay,but in reality it is not an entrance, but to echo Rich- not worth it.

Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 08-05-2017 at 07:02 AM.
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    Not arguing with the mentality/logic...just lamenting the negative changes in access to so many systems.
    Glad I started in 1972.....and continued for 40-plus years...and got to participate in many projects and Guide programs......
    Just trying to find places off the "beaten track"...as Kelly replied.
    Not many left.
    Good to hear from you again Steve!

Dived P1 to Waterhole and back with student a week ago. I hadn't been in there in a few years, but it was a great dive.

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

I rarely post anything on this forum but there are some things that just caint be left unsaid. Waterhole is closed not because of the BS that a few special divers would like to lead you to believe. It is closed because these people want to dictate to other divers where they can and cannot go. Same as bonnet. The only reason it is closed is so nobody disturbed the mother alligator. This became so comfortable to the park that they took the access all together. Now its only a private dive site for the elite few. Yall know the people who count cave critters or do water samples or want to take their special friends on a dive because they own a dive equipment company. To use telford as an example is also ridiculous it wasnt the divers that left all the trash or killed each other or caused all that dreaded erosion. These are all BS statements to draw the attention away from the facts. Same as little river, there is a little milky water in the spring from erosion, but again not because of the massive amount of divers. Then look at the alternatives take out all the vegetation and replace it with concrete. The same as olson, if you talk to any of the old timers they will tell you olson was a great place to enter, but wait there is an extremely rare orchid that grows there but nobody has seen it so lets close it. I have entered in waterhole and stood in the water right on top of the rocks just like peacock iii and had absolutely no problem no erosion and really enjoyed my dive. So here is my solution to all the people who want access. Find an instructor and not just any one buy a whole bunch of gear, keep taking more classes from them, buy more gear, tell them you want to go to these special places, take some more classes from them, then tell all the powers that be that you would love to volunteer to take water samples and count cave critters and you will have basically purchased your right to dive the forbidden places

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver01 View Post
    I rarely post anything on this forum but there are some things that just caint be left unsaid. Waterhole is closed not because of the BS that a few special divers would like to lead you to believe. It is closed because these people want to dictate to other divers where they can and cannot go. Same as bonnet. The only reason it is closed is so nobody disturbed the mother alligator. This became so comfortable to the park that they took the access all together. Now its only a private dive site for the elite few. Yall know the people who count cave critters or do water samples or want to take their special friends on a dive because they own a dive equipment company. To use telford as an example is also ridiculous it wasnt the divers that left all the trash or killed each other or caused all that dreaded erosion. These are all BS statements to draw the attention away from the facts. Same as little river, there is a little milky water in the spring from erosion, but again not because of the massive amount of divers. Then look at the alternatives take out all the vegetation and replace it with concrete. The same as olson, if you talk to any of the old timers they will tell you olson was a great place to enter, but wait there is an extremely rare orchid that grows there but nobody has seen it so lets close it. I have entered in waterhole and stood in the water right on top of the rocks just like peacock iii and had absolutely no problem no erosion and really enjoyed my dive. So here is my solution to all the people who want access. Find an instructor and not just any one buy a whole bunch of gear, keep taking more classes from them, buy more gear, tell them you want to go to these special places, take some more classes from them, then tell all the powers that be that you would love to volunteer to take water samples and count cave critters and you will have basically purchased your right to dive the forbidden places
    What's in the next installment of conspiracy theory theater? Are you going to open Al Capone's vault, tell us that 9/11 was a government inside job, or show us the sound stage where they shot the moon landing?

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver01 View Post
    I hear your frustration,and I won't change your mind,but there are facts. Olsen was never closed because of a rare orchid, but due to significant erosion that happened down the banks from divers walking up and down the trail. The denuded vegetation and exposed roots were of concern. I remember being around when a reassessment was done after one year to see if would reopen, and the head biologist voiced the same concern. In fact, many years later when the interpretive trail was being designed, the decision to place the overlook where it is now is relative to that same erosion. Waterhole was closed initially because a tree fell in the basin and blocked the entrance. We investigated it from the other side and cleared branches away to allow an egress,but the decision was to close to entry due to erosion that was occurring and erosion mitigation due lack of a path and steps. Bonnet has been technically closed to divers for many years. The gator at one time was of concern, and erosion on the path to the spring from the parking area, and along the bank into the water. Presently a gator would be of concern because there are a lot of chirping babies with a zero viz basin. If you read the current Peacock management plan (please goggle it), you will see me quoted in to provide some provision for reopening it. You hear erosion brought up, and that is strong concern the state has for management of the resource but allowing recreation. You can look at places like Telford, Cow, and Little River pre-concrete to see how big of a problem it can be. In fairness I have permit access to several sites- #1 anybody is allowed to join our team, #2 every dive requires an approved dive plan by the park, a post dive report, and a lengthy report which includes the summary of data. All permit holders, and this includes other dive groups have to do the same process, and only people on a list that is approved by the state can dive there. So it isn't a private dive site, and if you are caught taking friends that aren't on the permit, then you lose your permit. There are multiple groups that have permit access to many sites, including DEP and Water Management, and all of them accept help. Become part of their team, but be prepared to work because these aren't recreational dives,but dives with a specific goal that have to provide tangible benefits that are reported. I been doing fauna counts with water quality survey for over 12 years, I can only report the facts as I know them.

Default Waterhole III?

I miss the days of diving Bonnet, Telford, and going in Olsen. Always entered Waterhole too. Never an issue.
    Some time when I retire I'll volunteer and get to see Bonnet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    I miss the days of diving Bonnet, Telford, and going in Olsen. Always entered Waterhole too. Never an issue.
    Some time when I retire I'll volunteer and get to see Bonnet again.

I am not the person who assess accessing Waterhole,but do you remember the path before the walkway from the parking lot to the deck at P1? I remember that last 1/3rd of the path was a mudhole with no vegetation from all the foot traffic. Matter of fact it was so bad I remember Debra Green slipping and falling, and having to get stitches. I know at one time the path to Waterhole was getting a lot of wear, and the bank into the water,but as Rich says, it is an easy dive on 85s. You remember when we didn't have the steps at OG? That was a mud pit with getting your feet stuck in Cypress roots, and for those that tried to get to Cisteen from there, would sink above their ankles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    I am not the person who assess accessing Waterhole,but do you remember the path before the walkway from the parking lot to the deck at P1? I remember that last 1/3rd of the path was a mudhole with no vegetation from all the foot traffic. Matter of fact it was so bad I remember Debra Green slipping and falling, and having to get stitches. I know at one time the path to Waterhole was getting a lot of wear, and the bank into the water,but as Rich says, it is an easy dive on 85s. You remember when we didn't have the steps at OG? That was a mud pit with getting your feet stuck in Cypress roots, and for those that tried to get to Cisteen from there, would sink above their ankles.
    Oh yes I remember. Lol. I fell going down to Orange Grove. Almost got a cypress knob where the sun doesn't shine.
    Fell walking to P1 before the steps too. Fell walking out of Bonnet. Luckily I was dating someone when I used to go in and out of Olsen. He carried my tanks. There weren't that many divers back then. I can only imagine how it would be now!

roadkill