Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterhole III?

Default Waterhole III?

Adding Waterhole III to the list of "do it again after many years" locations to do.
    Any one been there who can give a conditions/line status report?
    I'm NOT talking about the Olsen to the Crossover to the Waterhole to the Breakdown Room and then out to Peacock I...talking about entry at WHIII and swimming to P-I. Maybe WHIII is not an allowed entrance now?
    As mentioned, did it a couple times years ago...not a bad dive, nice little swim, with a bailout at Olsen if needed. Probably a path less traveled/beat up as well. Comments?

(as an aside, if true it is closed...seems like only two of eight known entrances to the Peacock system are open these days.....kind of sad.)

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    Adding Waterhole III to the list of "do it again after many years" locations to do.
    Any one been there who can give a conditions/line status report?
    I'm NOT talking about the Olsen to the Crossover to the Waterhole to the Breakdown Room and then out to Peacock I...talking about entry at WHIII and swimming to P-I. Maybe WHIII is not an allowed entrance now?
    As mentioned, did it a couple times years ago...not a bad dive, nice little swim, with a bailout at Olsen if needed. Probably a path less traveled/beat up as well. Comments?

(as an aside, if true it is closed...seems like only two of eight known entrances to the Peacock system are open these days.....kind of sad.)
    Waterhole entrance is closed

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

From Peacock I out the Peanut Tunnel to the Waterhole III jump and out the WHIII Tunnel and back is a very nice dive. We usually turn just short of the ascent to Waterhole III.

Both answers anticipated...WHII closed, and the swim route from PI just shy of WHII.
    Thanks to Kelly and all.

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    Both answers anticipated...WHII closed, and the swim route from PI just shy of WHII.
    Thanks to Kelly and all.
    Steve, the main reason is erosional issues. Access to Olsen was stopped because of the erosion. I have appreciation for what the park has done to manage the resource. Many of us remember when Telford had drive up access. The erosion and denuded vegetation made the place look not like a natural spring,but a scene out of war. Remember Little River before they put in the concrete fixtures. The erosional trench from the parking lot to the spring, during a heavy rain, would make the surface look like chocolate milk.

Not arguing with the mentality/logic...just lamenting the negative changes in access to so many systems.
    Glad I started in 1972.....and continued for 40-plus years...and got to participate in many projects and Guide programs......
    Just trying to find places off the "beaten track"...as Kelly replied.
    Not many left.

And...I remember the erosional issues at LR...
    BUT....that chocolate milk water only went as far down as the average river intrusion....maybe 6-10 ft...and then there was the nice clear Aquifer to play in!

On one thread... "the caves will always be there." On 17 others... "no longer accessible".

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
    On one thread... "the caves will always be there." On 17 others... "no longer accessible".
    There are a few places that caves have been lost, which I won't go into detail,but if you look outside the box, there are a lot of places still accessible. But, "the caves will always be there", this is ironic,because that was a comment that used to be said by a particular cave diver. To complete the sentence, "but they won't be divable". With things like decreasing water flows and quality, the caves are slowly disappearing in quality. The springs are in danger, and so is our access,because they are dying. So Steve, you and I been fortunate to see some places when they were outstanding. The loss is so insidious, and the turn over of cave divers is roughly every 3 years, so there are very few that can provide the comparison over time of the degradation of the caves.

I walked over to the Waterhole III surface area (near P1) just a few months ago and it looked like it wouldn't be hard to enter. Also, I didn't see any signs stating not to enter. So, just so that I'm clear, are you saying that it is not possible to enter at Waterhole III? Or, another way to put it, if I swam all the way down the waterhole tunnel and had an emergency, would I be able to exit there?
    And, I saw reference to WHII above. Was that a typo or is that another area that's not on my map?