Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Honorary Member

Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    Found this guy in my garage. I live in New Mexico. I know he is not poisonous. Just don't know if he is a bull or gopher snake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a good guy, the Sonoran Desert Gopher Snake. It mimics a rattler and will scare the heck out of you until you see the head.
    https://www.desertmuseum.org/books/n...pher_snake.php

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

While we are on the subject, who wants to have some fun and take a crack at these?

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

You people are sick.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Pic on post #22 does a great job of showing how confusing snake ID can be. Lots of similarity in those pics, but within those are (harmless) Water and Red Rat snakes, and also potentially dangerous Copperheads, and Cottonmouths...

I am guessing that most of the snake expert around here know this.. but snake ID gets confusing because of several factors...
    -Many non venomous snakes do a really good job of mimicking more dangerous snakes as a defense mechanism. The water snake has similar markings, and will flatten its head down to look more like a viper. I had a juvenile corn (rat) snake in my garage that curled up and "rattled" its tail. It made me stop to do a double take, even though I was pretty sure its was a harmless corn snake.

-Many snakes have a lot of variation in coloring and size between examples and regions. You can look at two cottonmouths that have very different "looks" if your just focusing on color and markings.

-There are several other features that are really good things to remember for snake ID. Most venomous snakes have an elliptical eye. '()' vs an 'O'. There are exceptions, like the coral snake, but I am pretty sure all other venomous snakes in the US have the former. Also recognize the tell tale signs of a pit viper, which includes the various rattlers, cottonmouth and copperhead. Triangular head, eye, ridged brow, pit opening between the nostril and eye.

*Then be aware that you could run into a non native species that breaks all the rules for local snakes. Pythons, now common in S.Fla are scary, but non venomous. However, there was a King Cobra that got caught in Orlando last year, so you kind of need to treat all snakes with healthy respect, and don't try to handle them unless your 100% sure what your dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    Pic on post #22 does a great job of showing how confusing snake ID can be.

Proving the best bet is always to pop the head off with a shovel first and then scour the internet for id photos later.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Proving the best bet is always to pop the head off with a shovel first and then scour the internet for id photos later.
    Give a snake a break! ��

We would be overrun with rats and vermin within a matter of days without snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    That is the way most bites from venomous snakes happen- when someone is trying to kill them. My suggestion if you see a snake on your property is to spray it with a hose. It will annoy the snake and get it to leave from a safe distance and no one gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by CHartmann View Post
    That is the way most bites from venomous snakes happen- when someone is trying to kill them. My suggestion if you see a snake on your property is to spray it with a hose. It will annoy the snake and get it to leave from a safe distance and no one gets hurt.
    From my personal experience rattlers dont like pepper spray. Dont know science behind it but it was the only way it stopped his rattling and finally backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    You people are sick.

"Sorry, Homer. I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler."

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."
    "Modern Americans behave as if intelligence were some sort of hideous deformity."
    "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."

Frank Zappa 12-4-93

"There she was - the cave. Like a big craggy jaw, waiting to snap at anything that came along." Lloyd "Mike Nelson" Bridges 3-10-1998

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    It's a good guy, the Sonoran Desert Gopher Snake. It mimics a rattler and will scare the heck out of you until you see the head.
    https://www.desertmuseum.org/books/n...pher_snake.php
    Bull snakes are so awesome! They grow huge in NM. One time I saw one warming himself on a dirt road in NM. I screeched to a halt, got out and threw some dirt clods at it so it would get out of the road and not be run over. He coiled up and struck at me! So *I* knew they did that, mimicking rattlers, but let me tell you, I had a shot of adrenaline at that! Zowie!

On my way to the Land of Enchantment!