Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tidying it up

Yeah, back to crotch bungee and everything was much nicer today.

Shortened my bungee loops and that helped a lot. I had them looped through the chest D rings for ease of finding them but they are coming off there now to be free. I think that will help a lot also.

I can see this being a never ending game of fun and improvements

Thanks for all the advice people.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

I can see a sidemount configuration on a forum called "Cave Diver's..."

I cannot see your mind.

Many good comments above. However... confined space (that actually requires sidemounting) implies psychological obstacles. Dry crawls - especially the extended ones - where you need to tilt your head to fit in, are mentally demanding. Very demanding for some. Some of us need incremental practice... Like me. Under water it is much easier as the fear of reversing is lesser... being weightless... but the fear of getting stuck is bad anyway.

I would thus recommend you to get used to these claustrophobic places on dry land to prepare for the diving. I mean dry caving. Sidemount systems mostly differ in wing design (and some other detail) but a tool is a tool. Prepare your mind.

And hey, when a regulator fails and you need to switch... the other reg could be behind your neck and you cannot turn your head.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

This is a bit aged. Wonder how it went for you so far Joe.

What I noticed on the picture apart from the wing sitting to "high" on the back so it needs to move further down to your butt (crotch bugeee adjustment) and the tanks sitting too low at the top (tanks bungee adjustment), your tanks are likely also pushed down on the top, because your cam band sits very low. Try moving up your cambands. Starting position is usually a wee bit below half tank and not 2/3rds like a stage..

Hay,

In response to LiquidWaterDiver, I am primarily a dry caver. So the confined space is of no issue, other than the normal pushing that squeeze to hard. My only real incentive when I started diving was to be able to push beyond sumps to further my exploration. Not the other way round, as is the case for many who are not so interested in the dry stuff. I don't tend to get much out of open water dives, looking at fish. I tend to end up watching my buddies waiting for them to suck it up and use these as times to try and improve my skills and abilities.

Nitrogenous,

I have since shortened the loop bungees to great improvement and ditched that awful monkey fist holding the base of the wing far to loose. I have still been placing my cams low and will adjust accordingly to your advice.

Next time I'm wet I'll get some more photos and we can see what's changed.

Hopefully next week, but well see. Busy times in Oman.

Thanks again for all the input.

Joe

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk