Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    40 F, not 40 C!
    Your point? other than the fact that I would DIE at 80 degrees F...... let alone 104.

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    Your point?
    Call me a wussy, but I find 40 F water a bit chilly for naked scuba diving.

As the poster child for adult ADD, I have left more items at home than I am willing to mention. My main excuse is that I do a lot of different kinds of diving in a lot of different environments, so it is not like I can have things stored in a way that has them ready to go. The biggest problem, though, occurs when my ADD leads to me to lay something down in an unusual place, after which it is almost certain to be left behind.

John Adsit
    Boulder, CO
    Education Articles

The worst thing I ever left was my regs on a dive boat in Morehead City...for two months! It was a week long trip, that I planned and took just one week after finding out that our office was closing. And, upon returning home, started a job search which kept me out of diving for two months, which is rare since I average about 10 dives per month. When I did setup a local dive with a buddy, I realized my regs were missing. Fortunately, they still had them at the shop in Morehead City and shipped them back to me.

From this, I leared to create a checklist for items to both bring on a trip and to double check that I have when returning home. Since then, I've also learned that having a checklist still requires visually confirming items are in the car as it's too easy to just think that I saw that item and I have it. At this point, the checklist generally makes me one of the more prepared divers for remote dives. So, some good came from the misplaced regs.

The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
    by Atul Gawande
    Outstanding book!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schofield View Post
    I've also learned that having a checklist still requires visually confirming items are in the car as it's too easy to just think that I saw that item and I have it.
    Yup. A few years ago Tracy and I headed out to drive 1490 miles to Dive Outpost and left all of our reels at home. We were both sure we had them - I'd even checked them off on the checklist! Fortunately Cathy lent us some reels, and our neighbor who was watering our house plants shipped them down to us.

Quote Originally Posted by cavekrazi View Post
    The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
    by Atul Gawande
    Outstanding book!
    Yes - an excellent book We use a lot of those principles at work. I especially like the story about how they kept crashing the prototype B-17 and had just about concluded that it was too complex a machine to be operated by humans, until they came up with a checklist.