Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Outrageously forgetful...

So Chris and I drove from Gainesville up to Madison Blue and parked at the bench by Martz. We started getting ready and I realized that my regulators were laying on my workbench back in Gainesville. He didn't stop talking about how dumb it was all the way back to Gainesville.

He wanted to make sure it'd never happen again so he took a slate and made me a nice checklist in sharpie and zip tied the slate to the top of my dive tote. It's still there on top of my dive tote.

About 3 weeks later we were headed to peacock. We started unpacking the gear and I realize my SMS 75 is not in the car.

He says "AGAIN!? how could you do this, I made you a checklist, didn't you use the checklist I made you?!?!"

I glance down and look at the checklist... and said... (though I realize now I probably should have kept my mouth shut) "Uh.. Chris... BC isn't on the checklist"

He said "What, let me look at this" and walks over and looks at the checklist. Dead silence.

He didn't say a word about it on the ride home.

Next time you see me at a dive site, ask to see the checklist. In BIG letters it now says "BC"

Last edited by Sludge; 05-19-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: removed profanity

This has been my biggest fear since I commute from LA... lol. I made a list as well. My dive log has one on the first page, but it didn't include the cave specific/tech stuff.

Administrator Forum Admin

The worst thing I forgot was my mask. Usually not an issue, since I have a spare in my drysuit, and in the gear box. However, this was a sump trip, and we had hauled gear 3 hours to get there. I told my buddies that I would just close my eyes and follow the line in. One of my buddies (Sheck Exley) said, "not with me you won't". I ended up walking out, carrying all my gear. Then when I get to the cave entrance, my truck is gone. Our "sherpa" didn't expect us to get back for hours. It was only half a mile to where were staying, so I walked. The temp was in the teens, so by the time I got to the field house, my beard was all ice cycles, and my coverall legs were clanking against each other.

Last edited by FW; 05-17-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I have only had to scrub one dive due to forgetting something. On an early spring dive in Lake Champlain, 70 miles from home, with surface water temps around 40, I forgot my drysuit. Remembered the undergarments, but forgot the suit.

Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    I have only had to scrub one dive due to forgetting something. On an early spring dive in Lake Champlain, 70 miles from home, with surface water temps around 40, I forgot my drysuit. Remembered the undergarments, but forgot the suit.
    Only 40 deg? You don't need a drysuit for that

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
    This has been my biggest fear since I commute from LA... lol. I made a list as well. My dive log has one on the first page, but it didn't include the cave specific/tech stuff.
    one of my buddies forgot his whole gear bin one trip. That was cute

I one time mocked my dive buddy (not to his face) for forgetting his fins and required us to do a 100 mile RT drive to go back and get them.

Then there was the dive I did with a different buddy to Peacock. Kitting up, DANG, I forgot my booties! We drive over to Dive Outpost and I bum a pair of booties from the tank monkey who had similar sized feet. Back to Peacock. I work a little more. DANG! I forgot my fins! Wouldn't you think I would have remembered that I forgot my booties and fins at the same time???? Nope.

My buddy who was farther along getting ready than I, dropped her tanks in the back of her station wagon, jumped in the driver's seat with her drysuit on. Cranked the A/C to max and drove back to the Dive Outpost and brought me back some fins. Then I (at the time just getting back to diving after a hiatus), had a cluster f^&* getting ready and nearly drowned, but dropped my tanks into the sink and my buddy had to fetch them up for me. But then we had the sweetest little Peacock dive. Absolutely wonderful! Which is why I don't ascribe to the 3-things-go-wrong and call the dive rule.

On my way to the Land of Enchantment!

Wow! What haven't I forgotten!

borrowed backup lights
    Borrowed a hood
    Borrowed weights
    rent a primary light
    Rented fins
    Forgot to fill my tanks
    Forgot my undersuit and had to duct tape towels around my legs and wear a sweatshirt
    My daughter realized she had "started" and we had to make a napkin (luckily no sharks)

I just love to dive and always figure out a way

Mark Schroder

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice. (PV12:15)

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Only 40 deg? You don't need a drysuit for that
    40 F, not 40 C!

Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    40 F, not 40 C!

Sump Divers