Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default KISS GEM backmount rig

So for the last few months I've been playing around with trying to set up a backmount rig for my KISS Gem semi-closed rebreather. I had tried playing with it using a Nomad classic, mounting it on the back, sidemounted tanks and that worked well but still not what I was hoping. Then I tried sidemounting the canister (see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RK-7GFkcWo) and that was okay also, but still not as simple as I'd like.
    So with some thought and time, I came up with a way to mount back mount it similar to how the RB80 is set up. It took a few different tries but I think I've finally found something that will work similar to how other backmounted rebreathers are set up. Shout out to Forrest for doing the drilling on the aluminum for me.

Still needs some tweaking and some appropriate hardware but hopefully will get it in the water in the next few weeks.

So what I did was take a backplate and some aluminum stock and drilled holes into the aluminum to match up with the backplate.

I then just took that back plate and bolted it up to another backplate with harness and now I have a semi-modular semi-closed rebreather set up! It seems like its going to work fairly well with the LP65 tanks. It's been a long while since I've had something on my back, and it felt heavier than expected. But I can't imagine its anymore than a set of 95's.
    It should be fun to play around with until I can get the funds for a CCR, however, I'm currently okay doing the 4 stage dives I'm currently doing OC. Was a fun project and thought I'd share. Will post some updates once I get it into the water.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	16621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	16622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	16623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	16624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	16625  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.JPG
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	16626  

I think Kiss makes a plate to do that. I had a pic but can't find it.

I'd be interested to see it. I looked and couldn't find anything.

It wasn't listed on their site. I think I ran across someone posting it here. I will look further and see if I still have it.

Light bulb just went on. Not the one that I was thinking of but similar to what you did. And it was offered by kiss but not listed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CCR16.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	16637  

Wow where was this photo a couple months ago!! That looks sweet! Very similar design. I'm curious to know what this fella thought about rigging them this way.

Walt Stearn was the guy that sent me the email. The only downfall with the plate was that you were limited to smaller tanks. But they could be mounted with valve up or down. I have seen where someone made a plate for a DAV. The scrubber was back mounted and the tanks were side mount. He couldn' t climb a ladder with a tank.

That's a great rig no doubt. I think the benefit of mine is I can use whatever tanks I want. Because I'm using simple can bands I can fit whatever tanks I want to. I'm trying these LP65's as they're nice and compact, but big enough to get some nice volume cave filled. I am curious what he did as far as mani folding them. I planned to just act like they're independent doubles and run two different SPG's. The RB80 method is appealing but cost is pretty significant, and I like the idea of independent air systems.
    Thanks for sharing the photo. I'm gonna try to contact the fella.

From the looks of it that looks horribly laterally unstable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0use View Post
    That's a great rig no doubt. I think the benefit of mine is I can use whatever tanks I want. Because I'm using simple can bands I can fit whatever tanks I want to. I'm trying these LP65's as they're nice and compact, but big enough to get some nice volume cave filled. I am curious what he did as far as mani folding them. I planned to just act like they're independent doubles and run two different SPG's. The RB80 method is appealing but cost is pretty significant, and I like the idea of independent air systems.
    Thanks for sharing the photo. I'm gonna try to contact the fella.
    A Lola manifold might be an option should you decide to manifold them. With the cam bands your not quite as rigid as a normal rb80 frame and the flexible Lola center manifold will give you some play.