Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    Who knows if it's true, but I have heard a story of a would-be cave instructor asking an NSS-CDS instructor what he would have to do to get credentialed. After having the process explained, he walked away muttering to himself. A month later he was at Ginnie teaching a cave class, having been certified by another (unspecified) agency.

I remember reading a piece online about selecting a cave instructor. Jim, I think you wrote it. It was a useful thing.

Mike
    Yes, that happened..one weekend, one evaluator, $1500.00

Of course the divers who are looking for the quick, cheap, and easy way to a cave card are another part of the problem.

8 or 10 years ago at a diving event in Massachusetts, a guy asked me if I could recommend a good cave instructor in north Florida. In conversing with him, it became evident that we had differing ideas of what being a "good" instructor entailed. His most telling comment: "I don't want to go all that way and spend a lot of money and not come back with a card." When I told him that there were no guarantees; and that no reputable cave instructor would certify someone who didn't meet high standards of safety and competence, he unaccountably lost interest in talking with me.

Mike

When was the last solo death where a buddy would have saved them? P3 years ago due to t's and lack of nav confirmation...

Most of the folks who are regularly solo diving locally are very solid, seems like a dumb "rule".
    Humans are a key driver in accidents, adding more of them isn't necessarily safer imo.

I primarily dive solo and since I don't like the solo rule I'll propose some others that make more sense
    - Always analyze gas for co
    - Check your blood pressure before every dive
    - Jog/Run at least the same number of minutes you dive in a week
    - Always google your instructor to get more data: Do they teach deep air? Are they known for shenanigans? Are they hated by many people for a reason? Did they just kill their last student on a breather because they are really dumb and teach dangerous things? Are they a recovering felon?

Did you see any critters in that cave? StygoBites.com

Quote Originally Posted by mdax View Post
    When was the last solo death where a buddy would have saved them? P3 years ago due to t's and lack of nav confirmation...

Most of the folks who are regularly solo diving locally are very solid, seems like a dumb "rule".
    Humans are a key driver in accidents, adding more of them isn't necessarily safer imo.

I primarily dive solo and since I don't like the solo rule I'll propose some others that make more sense
    - Always analyze gas for co
    - Check your blood pressure before every dive
    - Jog/Run at least the same number of minutes you dive in a week
    - Always google your instructor to get more data: Do they teach deep air? Are they known for shenanigans? Are they hated by many people for a reason? Did they just kill their last student on a breather because they are really dumb and teach dangerous things? Are they a recovering felon?
    I think Mark Fyvie's outcome would have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by mdax View Post
    Sometimes a buddy (or a buddy's input, wisdom, etc) keeps you from getting into an "incident" in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by rjack View Post
    Sometimes a buddy (or a buddy's input, wisdom, etc) keeps you from getting into an "incident" in the first place.
    Sometimes the buddy causes the "incident" in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben M View Post
    Sometimes the buddy causes the "incident" in the first place.
    Uh....

I've heard that more than once.

I dive solo, every dive. Buddy or not..... We meet for a beer after.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    I think Mark Fyvie's outcome would have been different.
    I can't disagree with you. If Mark could have found a buddy with a similar mindset to be able to complete that dive, it would have been a double fatality that I would have been involved with instead of a single. That would have been different. Joel

Quote Originally Posted by floridabob View Post
    Uh....

I've heard that more than once.

I dive solo, every dive. Buddy or not.....
    I plan my dives solo every dive as well, as in I am not depending on a "buddy" on anything throughout the dive.
    I think this makes sense..

But are you saying that in case there is a buddy with you and he is in trouble, you would not assist?
    I surely do, but doing so it does in fact change your risk profile in comparison to a "real" solo dive..

I'm feeling a little left out. There has been no mention about vacation cave divers. Do we not matter?
    Vacation Cavedivers Matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to see some funny redneck quarry diving check out my youtube account..

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoDeepif...n?feature=mhum