Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Hmmm, reminds me of a video "A Deceptively Easy Way to Die".

I worry about the quality of training of some of the new agencies, especially the ones that only require the instructor to be full cave trained, with no specialized cave instructor training.
    New agencies or old ones, iantd had its fair share of issues lately.

Anyhow, it's not the agency a diver should pick, it should be the instructor. However, GUE does sets itself apart (coming from a non GUE diver)

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    Anyhow, it's not the agency a diver should pick, it should be the instructor.
    "The training agency is everything!*%@* blargggg!!! How are you going to be able to dive with another person trained under a different agency?!?!?!!!! Your thumbs up might mean "neat-o" to this nim-rod!!!! It isnt even fathomable for a team to communicate the differences in the predive plan!*^%!!!"

(This was a small part of the backlash I got when I said that I picked my instructor because of how he instructs, and didn't know what agency I was getting a card through until I signed the "please do not due me" forms...)

OMG! Try to inject some giggles into cave diving ... smh.

As a GUE Tech 2 diver, I can honestly say none of my NACD or NSS-CDS instructors were doing it right. But, I forgive them ... even Chris Wright from Alabama.

Trace Malinowski
    www.scubacoachtrace.com
    Save 5% off Deep 6 Gear when you use Scuba Coach Trace as an affiliate coupon code http://www.deep6gear.com/?acc=105
    "Through all of my seasons and all of the reasons, I've stayed on this circuit for me." - Chris Ledoux

Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of what the different agencies require to be a cave instructor. My impression is that it varies widely.

Mike
    What most say they require and what they actually do if you are connected or can bring in enough $$$ are different things. There are cave instructors who had the magic wand waived and are now teaching but have never been through an internship. When it comes to teaching breathers it only gets worse. You have some rb instructors teaching cave ccr and they were never even an ow instructor let alone a taught any oc classes. The only agency I know of that isn't guilty of this is GUE and I am not GUE. I feel sorry for the people who are actually trying to do it correctly. It really isn't fair to them but just more proof of how screwed up the industry is. I am guessing one of these days the wrong person will die and in a lawsuit some of these issues will come to light.

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
    Your thumbs up might mean "neat-o" to this nim-rod!!!!
    Please stop calling me names.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
    ...until I signed the "please do not SUE me" forms...)***
    And sorry Russell... hahaha.

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of what the different agencies require to be a cave instructor. My impression is that it varies widely.

Mike
    That would be interesting indeed. All this 'go on a weeks vacation and come back as a cave instructor' has got go stop.
    It seem to be getting worse though. With some agencies you can go straight to teaching full cave classes with hardly any prior teaching experience. I think that's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by TraceMalin View Post
    Probably because cave diving is so easy that even folks from Alabama can do it.
    Indeed!

I have a reservation at a Holiday Inn Express coming up pretty soon, so that should qualify me to become a cave instructor as well.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!" -- Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Mike
    Very widely, and wildly. I spoke to one guy who did his cave instructor over a weekend and a $1500 check to one evaluator to the other end of the spectrum 6 months internship and five evaluators, with no $ being exchanged.

Who knows if it's true, but I have heard a story of a would-be cave instructor asking an NSS-CDS instructor what he would have to do to get credentialed. After having the process explained, he walked away muttering to himself. A month later he was at Ginnie teaching a cave class, having been certified by another (unspecified) agency.

I remember reading a piece online about selecting a cave instructor. Jim, I think you wrote it. It was a useful thing.

Mike

Last edited by MORGAN; 04-19-2017 at 02:19 PM.