Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by jblack View Post
    If a loop hose were to tear youre dive would be over anyways......
    What about when it's a minor tear or when your mouthpiece has torn a little? You'll be letting a little water in on every breath. Obviously you abort, but on a well designed unit you can dump the water easily. That allows you to stay on the unit until the entire scrubber is cooked, essentially buying you unlimited time in case another issue arises.

Even if the above posters are correct, you essentially lost half your scrubber, dropping you to a 2.5lb axial with #### wob. I don't know about you, but if I'm thousands of feet back and deep, I want as many tools in my toolbox as possible. I don't see why you would ever be willing to sacrifice the ability to dump water for convenience on a big cave dive. And that's also ignoring the fact that you can't fit in certain areas that the sidekick can take you.

Quote Originally Posted by rchrds View Post
    As Real above is keeping it real, don't believe everything you read, but not everything is as dramatic as a dead monkey in a zoo.
    As the resident primatologist on the forum, I feel that it is important to set the record straight - Harambe was a gorilla, which is an ape, not a monkey. Just remember, monkeys have tails, apes don't.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraham View Post

(2) the most important thing is setup on your sidemount system. I use a Hollis SMS 50. Quite possibly the smallest rig that this unit has been mounted on. It took a bit of tinkering to get it to sit freely, but now it is extremely comfortable and trims amazing. Getting the lung and the scruubers pinched under strapping causes more issues with WOB than the partial flood that I experienced. I had to make one simple change to the strapping on the SMS and removed the issue I was having.
    Could you explain the change you made to the strapping? Do you have any pictures? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic1015 View Post
    Could you explain the change you made to the strapping? Do you have any pictures? Thanks.
    Here are a couple of pictures. I had to disconnect the wing bladder from the waist strap to allow the counterlung to move freely. I have had two experiences of constricted lungs and really increased WOB. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8809.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	17715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8810.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	17716Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8812.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	17717Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8811.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	17718

Those of you that where concerned with the ability to dump water out. I have found a dump valve that I am happy with. It will be available soon with this as an option.

blessed are the cracked for they let in the light!

For those of you that use the sidewinder, has anyone found it to be restrictive in lung volume? It felt to me like the harness restricted full expansion of the counter lung. This was the main reason I stuck with the sidekick. I only know of one other person with a similar experience.

Quote Originally Posted by graepaep View Post
    For those of you that use the sidewinder, has anyone found it to be restrictive in lung volume? It felt to me like the harness restricted full expansion of the counter lung. This was the main reason I stuck with the sidekick. I only know of one other person with a similar experience.
    I was overbreathing the counterlung when i tried it for 10 minutes. Edd said that lung was too small for me and I was "oc breathing" not "rebreather breathing". I have absolutely no clue what that meant or if it was bs. He said a bigger lung would have resolved it. Mind you I have zero rb experience other than some demos. But maybe thats what youre referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are at least 2 different sizes of counter lung out there. The smaller one came first. Depending on when you dove it, you may have been on the smaller version.

Quote Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
    So should I not trust the information in the press release that you wrote and are reposting to get it more attention? But we're digressing.

In a passage like the bedding plane to Jug Hole, it would seem like the counterlung wouldn't have room to fully expand, therefore limiting your ability to get a full breath, furthermore the routing of the loop hoses in that same passage would causes lots of wear and tear potentially leading to cut in the hose. As discussed previously if a loop hose were too tear there is no way to get water out of the unit.
    here is a dive we did recently with some friends on sidewinders... no complaints from them, they love the unit. they previously dove REVOs and years before that dove KISS classics. I'm not CCR but sounds like some of the apparent draw backs are being over emphasized. to each thier own... enjoy a little clip from jug hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16rJ9ySyo0g&t=2s

Nice! Flow looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill