Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Have You Tried the New Kiss Sidewinder?

The KISS Sidewinder is a pretty cool unit. I tried it out with Edd's help and it was amazingly stable and easy to dive. You can demo one at the upcoming NSS-CDS International Cave Diving Conference but why wait?

https://www.divenewswire.com/kiss-si...n=DNW_04_05_17

R B

www.floridadiveconnection.com

"The life so short, the craft so long to learn" - Chaucer

Time Out User

How do you prevent water from sitting in the exhale scrubber cannister? It's the lowest point on the unit and on long rebreather dives a fair amount of moisture and spit can accumulate.

Yes, there is no way to dump water from the unit. If you get any water in it, it goes straight to the exhale scrubber.

There is also no way to remove the scrubbers to pass restrictions. This won't matter for dives that are just in sidemount configuration for large passage. However, this and the lack of flood recoverability are large downsides when considering the unit for big exploration dives when compared to a sidekick or sf2.

Quote Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
    How do you prevent water from sitting in the exhale scrubber cannister? It's the lowest point on the unit and on long rebreather dives a fair amount of moisture and spit can accumulate.
    That's a question worth giving Edd a call for. He and I talked at length about the possibility of flooding and he says the design with 2 separate scrubber canisters takes care of the problem.

R B

Time Out User

So when one of the scrubbers gets compromised and turns to a caustic sludge you can rely solely on the other half? Hopefully at that point you don't have to turn sideways or go heads up to exit the cave where you might get that caustic into the counter lung and the other scrubber.

Do you even cave dive bro, this just seems like a really horrible idea.

LOL Yes, I do a little...As I said, give Edd a call. He can fill you in much better than me. I sort of love my O2Ptima and I think there are a LOT of reasons to own one. I finished a cave dive at Vortex and literally stepped out of my O2Ptima on the steps and slipped into the Sidewinder while standing in the water. After less than a 5 minute crash course I felt as stable and comfortable in the Sidewinder as I feel in my Nomad with steel 85s. This is a very cool machine.

R B

This thread reeks of advertising.

Although I loved my KISS, the lack of ability to de-water the unit if it accidentally flooded had me nervous, especially given some of the dives I was doing. What convinced me the SF2 was the unit for me was that I deliberately flooded a unit 5 minutes into a dive, then after de-watering it I proceeded to do two more hours without ever having to come up to the surface.

I'd be more than happy to do that side by side with any KISS currently on the market.

Takers?

Ken Sallot

Time Out User

But were on a forum called "Gear, Equipment & Tools for Cave Diving" where we discuss things on the internet not over the phone with Edd. I would like to hear your opinion as to why this isn't such a bad idea.

I like Edd, I go to his shop when out that way, I think he is a very accomplished open circuit sidemounter; but I don't think he has the rebreather experience to justify this horrible design. However maybe you could enlighten me to the golden answer that I seem to have missed.

Advertising is everywhere! The problem with the internet and forums in general is that the keyboard will allow you to type anything you want. Everybody has an opinion about something and forming your opinions by reading an internet forum may not give positive results. I simply shared a post and related my personal experience. The unit is simple to dive. It trims out easily and buoyancy control with it is very easy. I'm not an expert and I'm not a CCR instructor however I have had conversations about the sidewinder with some people who have an incredible amount of experience. For me to be baited into quoting them here or stating opinions beyond my personal experience would be wrong. I know you all are used to that because that's how it is on the forums but I won't do it. My advice is to try one yourself. Ask the appropriate questions of the designers and instructors and don't trust information from somebody on the internet

R B

Time Out User

Quote Originally Posted by Real1628 View Post
    don't trust information from somebody on the internet
    So should I not trust the information in the press release that you wrote and are reposting to get it more attention? But we're digressing.

In a passage like the bedding plane to Jug Hole, it would seem like the counterlung wouldn't have room to fully expand, therefore limiting your ability to get a full breath, furthermore the routing of the loop hoses in that same passage would causes lots of wear and tear potentially leading to cut in the hose. As discussed previously if a loop hose were too tear there is no way to get water out of the unit.