Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Solo diving @ Little River?

Is solo diving OK at LR? I need to get in the water with a new sidemount rig to tweak hose lengths, cam strap positioning, etc. Will just stay in the cavern zone.
    Over 3000 cave dives, so I think I know my limits! Not totally new to sidemount, just took a six year break.
    Thanks for any current info.

Who is going to stop you? Solo diving is allowed at most sites except for state parks.

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    Is solo diving OK at LR? I need to get in the water with a new sidemount rig to tweak hose lengths, cam strap positioning, etc. Will just stay in the cavern zone.
    Over 3000 cave dives, so I think I know my limits! Not totally new to sidemount, just took a six year break.
    Thanks for any current info.
    Steve, good to hear from you. The rule is nobody has said we can't,but conversely nobody has said we can. FWIW, I usually find high flow places my least favorite place to shake down a rig since the touch contact aspect makes it hard to assess what is going on with trim etc.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    Who is going to stop you? Solo diving is allowed at most sites except for state parks.
    You would be surprised the places solo cave diving isn't allowed,but it just isn't rigorously enforced.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I would tend to agree with you , Kelly, but I'll be coming from Lake City, Little River is almost right on the way home, no scuba police, no entry fee, shallow areas to take off tanks and tweak things with tools, very little silt. Probably won't be in the water more than :30-40 mins.
    My tanks still have the marks on them for cam band height location and where the clips on the bands need to be, so that won't be an issue....really just need to get hose
    routing and lengths figured out...have several lengths of shorter lp hoses and a 7 ft'r, (or 5 ft'r, whichever seems better), lp inflator hoses....maybe remount the inflator airway to the lower position (if not already there)... I like 9" cpg hoses twisted upwards and strapped to the first stage...easier to see without having to use a hand to flip it up. All part of the tweaking process.
    Looked at a bunch of YouTubes (Lamar, Kakuk, Bogearts, etc.)...some things have changed, like some of the extremely minimalistic harnesses, obviously for the serious exploratory types...I'm not going to be doing anything tight, just want to get back in the water and give the knees and hips a break. Primary buddy will be diving backmount, so that's an automatic limiting factor as to passage size passable. Got back in shape (for an old guy!), swimming and gym, lost 55 lbs..mobility seems to be the common denominator for ceasing the diving activity as we all age, OW or tech....so ready to get back into the wet rocks.

Administrator Forum Admin

You can easily get out of the current in the cavern area.

Welcome back Steve

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Thanks Forrest and Kelly...been lurking around the forum, just not cave diving or posting.
    Back at it Friday, hopefully.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    Thanks Forrest and Kelly...been lurking around the forum, just not cave diving or posting.
    Back at it Friday, hopefully.
    Good luck, and have fun.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I just got back from one. Flow seems up a little; vis is maybe 20 ft. Yesterday's rain is apparently causing a great deal of river water intrusion from the area of the well casing. New Deep Section was keeping the front clearer but vis was 2 ft or less in the Dome room. The Harper Tunnel wasn't much better.

Welcome back Steve!

Thanks Jerry.....and for the info, not that I'll be doing anything much in the cave on a gear tweak dive!