Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Solo diving @ Little River?

Is solo diving OK at LR? I need to get in the water with a new sidemount rig to tweak hose lengths, cam strap positioning, etc. Will just stay in the cavern zone.
    Over 3000 cave dives, so I think I know my limits! Not totally new to sidemount, just took a six year break.
    Thanks for any current info.

Who is going to stop you? Solo diving is allowed at most sites except for state parks.

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    Who is going to stop you? Solo diving is allowed at most sites except for state parks.
    You would be surprised the places solo cave diving isn't allowed,but it just isn't rigorously enforced.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I would tend to agree with you , Kelly, but I'll be coming from Lake City, Little River is almost right on the way home, no scuba police, no entry fee, shallow areas to take off tanks and tweak things with tools, very little silt. Probably won't be in the water more than :30-40 mins.
    My tanks still have the marks on them for cam band height location and where the clips on the bands need to be, so that won't be an issue....really just need to get hose
    routing and lengths figured out...have several lengths of shorter lp hoses and a 7 ft'r, (or 5 ft'r, whichever seems better), lp inflator hoses....maybe remount the inflator airway to the lower position (if not already there)... I like 9" cpg hoses twisted upwards and strapped to the first stage...easier to see without having to use a hand to flip it up. All part of the tweaking process.
    Looked at a bunch of YouTubes (Lamar, Kakuk, Bogearts, etc.)...some things have changed, like some of the extremely minimalistic harnesses, obviously for the serious exploratory types...I'm not going to be doing anything tight, just want to get back in the water and give the knees and hips a break. Primary buddy will be diving backmount, so that's an automatic limiting factor as to passage size passable. Got back in shape (for an old guy!), swimming and gym, lost 55 lbs..mobility seems to be the common denominator for ceasing the diving activity as we all age, OW or tech....so ready to get back into the wet rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    Is solo diving OK at LR? I need to get in the water with a new sidemount rig to tweak hose lengths, cam strap positioning, etc. Will just stay in the cavern zone.
    Over 3000 cave dives, so I think I know my limits! Not totally new to sidemount, just took a six year break.
    Thanks for any current info.
    Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    Actually, the last time I dove LR solo, there was a Columbia County Sheriff's deputy there on patrol, watching me set up. And, although he didn't say it was illegal, he did caution me against it. I did tell him I was "full cave" and experienced in Solo diving. He said, "Okaaaaaaaaayyyyyy...." and said nothing further. I think, perhaps, he saw my buddy "AL" there and the other redundant gear, and felt better, but I don't know.

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by mag3 View Post
    I did tell him I was "full cave" and experienced in Solo diving. He said, "Okaaaaaaaaayyyyyy...." and said nothing further.
    That's when I whip out my handy dandy SDI Solo Diver card.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    Sadly, even if you whip out a full cave instructor card paired with an SDI Solo Diver Instructor card, the state parks and other places that have a no-solo policy won't care the least bit. It does not help that a small but vocal group of self-righteous divers condemn any solo diving under any circumstance by any diver. By the way, the SDI solo book also specifically opposes solo technical/overhead diving (see below). By this measuring stick, all of us who dive solo (including the vast majority of the big name divers of past and present) are outlaws.

Ozark Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    Has that card actually ever allowed you to dive anywhere that you would not have been allowed without it?

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    Kakuk said that breathing one cylinder down by 1/3 may leave you too little gas if you have a total failure at turn range or so in your other tank. Haven't worked the math and possible redundancy/volume problems there yet.
    if that was the case then thirds in general would not be sufficient planning reserve..
    If you stay within your gas rule.. it does not matter when you actually switch, you will always have adhered to the rule.
    You should chose your rule that for a critical failure you always have sufficient gas to get out..
    Of course if you switch more frequently, A) it would not matter which of the tanks fails as they are carrying loosely the same quantity then and
    B) if it does not fail at max penetration (at which point you would have both tanks similar empty) then it provides more cushion..
    But then, if you breath one tank to thirds and have not touched the other but the "more empty" tank fails you even have gained extra cushion

So it makes sense to keep track of the "safety factor" applied and how this translates to gas rules..

Back to topic.. I switch as frequently as to keeping tanks within 300 psi in shallow caves (Mexico 20ft ish caves) and 500 psi deeper than that which roughly translates into a switch every 5-10 min..

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by diverdarren View Post
    Has that card actually ever allowed you to dive anywhere that you would not have been allowed without it?
    I did a week on the Nekton Pilot in 2006. I asked about solo diving about a month before the trip, and they said if I had a solo card I could, so I got one. Their only "rule" was that I had to carry a buddy bottle.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.