Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    That's when I whip out my handy dandy SDI Solo Diver card.
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdarren View Post
    Has that card actually ever allowed you to dive anywhere that you would not have been allowed without it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius View Post
    yes
    Where?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Default Solo diving @ Little River?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius View Post
    if that was the case then thirds in general would not be sufficient planning reserve..
    If you stay within your gas rule.. it does not matter when you actually switch, you will always have adhered to the rule.
    You should chose your rule that for a critical failure you always have sufficient gas to get out..
    Of course if you switch more frequently, A) it would not matter which of the tanks fails as they are carrying loosely the same quantity then and
    B) if it does not fail at max penetration (at which point you would have both tanks similar empty) then it provides more cushion..
    But then, if you breath one tank to thirds and have not touched the other but the "more empty" tank fails you even have gained extra cushion

So it makes sense to keep track of the "safety factor" applied and how this translates to gas rules..

Back to topic.. I switch as frequently as to keeping tanks within 300 psi in shallow caves (Mexico 20ft ish caves) and 500 psi deeper than that which roughly translates into a switch every 5-10 min..
    And if you have a buddy bottle if a tank fails (or even both) you have a full tank to get you out That?s why I started taking one.
    If I don?t take one I turn the dive on 1/6. Like in Cow. I can get to Not My Fault and back on 1/3?s. Nice dive. Slow pace. Look around and see things. Learn the cave
    I guess comfort level and safety are important. Just speaking for myself.
    Otherwise I switch tanks similar to the way you do. Mexico and N Florida. Easy to remember. Keeps everything balanced. Again my personal comfort and safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

It's ridiculous that some in our midst contribute to the state not allowing solo diving at their sites.
    Folks that do this should state openly here on the forum so those of us impacted can reflect the hate back to them in person.

State parks have immunity, you can't sue the state for deaths in a park...yet this dumb rule continues to exist....because of some cave divers, not non diving park reps.

Quote Originally Posted by mdax View Post
    because of some cave divers, not non diving park reps.
    I don't know of anybody actively soliciting the state to not allow solo cave diving, even someone I can think of that works at a higher advisement level doesn't. I have been on several panels for management plans and have never heard anybody strongly advocating this. Not sure where people get their misinformation from, but there is a mechanism to propose these things, and if there is a desire to have solo cave diving at the parks, I highly encourage anybody to solicit the parks for a policy change. Can a public entity be sued due to a death, yes it has occurred successfully in Florida.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    there is a mechanism to propose these things, and if there is a desire to have solo cave diving at the parks, I highly encourage anybody to solicit the parks for a policy change.
    I would definitely support this although I am pessimistic of it yielding any change. The only argument we'd have is increased revenue to the parks. I would definitely buy an annual pass and be there a lot more if I could dive solo.

Administrator Forum Admin

A larger issue with state parks allowing solo is all the open water state parks, like St Andrews, Blue springs, etc.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Where?
    the question rather more dared that one word answer..
    has not happened to me.. i do not even have one..
    but i know of places where it certainly helps..
    Haigh quarry south of Chicago comes to mind..
    a quarry focused on rec divers..’
    no issues div8ng solo with solo card.. without quite a debate.. i succeeded convincing them to let me solo, but it was quite a discussion and i almost had given up..
    also several places in the red sea now let folks solo if they show a solo card (difficult discussion with pure ‘tec’ certs)

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    And if you have a buddy bottle if a tank fails (or even both) you have a full tank to get you out That?s why I started taking one.
    If I don?t take one I turn the dive on 1/6. Like in Cow. I can get to Not My Fault and back on 1/3?s. Nice dive. Slow pace. Look around and see things. Learn the cave
    I guess comfort level and safety are important. Just speaking for myself.
    Otherwise I switch tanks similar to the way you do. Mexico and N Florida. Easy to remember. Keeps everything balanced. Again my personal comfort and safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    well thats why i had reffered to chosing safety factor..
    you have to make up your mind on which level of redundancies you want to plan and which level of reserve..
    simple rule of X is mostly cutting it too short..
    solo in manifolded doubles e.g. i take a buddy bottle and only dive 1/4ths in order, to have double the gas i need with full loss of doubles at max penetration.
    I achieve almost the same doing 1/4 ths soloing in sidemount.. then i dont take a buddy bottle..or if I need to go to thirds then buddy bottle..etc etc..
    then add to this in case of adverse conditions to start with..

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    A larger issue with state parks allowing solo is all the open water state parks, like St Andrews, Blue springs, etc.
    I solo dive at St. Andrews State Park several times a month (I live three miles away). Often there are others diving solo. We regularly chat with rangers, and nobody has ever told me not to dive solo.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by diverdarren View Post
    Has that card actually ever allowed you to dive anywhere that you would not have been allowed without it?
    I did a week on the Nekton Pilot in 2006. I asked about solo diving about a month before the trip, and they said if I had a solo card I could, so I got one. Their only "rule" was that I had to carry a buddy bottle.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.