Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I just got back from one. Flow seems up a little; vis is maybe 20 ft. Yesterday's rain is apparently causing a great deal of river water intrusion from the area of the well casing. New Deep Section was keeping the front clearer but vis was 2 ft or less in the Dome room. The Harper Tunnel wasn't much better.

Welcome back Steve!
    I dove there Monday. Vis was good and flow wasn't bad. What a difference a rain makes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

I find royal spring to be a great place to sort things out and usually your the only one there.

Gear tweak dive went well.....got the tanks balanced and down low below the arms (horizontally)...got familiar with the new SM rig, getting used to locating all functional features (has airway mounted on the lower position)..dump valves, airway/inflator, d-rings, bottle clip rails (or whatever the term is) on the butt plate, valve position. 1st stage/valve orientation, hose lengths and routing, hose retaining sleeves/straps manipulation. Going to replace a couple hoses, but lengths seem pretty good, not much "bowing" or excess length, no strain on the necklace or jaw fatigue due to angle, reels and accesory attachment points...yada, yada....... No issues donning and doffing the tanks in the water (95's)
    What's consensus these days on regulator switching for gas management...every 250psi? 500? Dove wiith Hemphill and Kakuk in Suwannee Blue back in my first iteration using sidemount, they gave me some great tips and suggestions. Again, I'm not going anyplace really small..my average small place would be the bedding plane in Jug. Been there, done that regarding smaller stuff, not in that mind set any more. And you guys were totally right...flow is kicking for LR...and the viz SUCKS after all the rain!
    Looking forward to continued adventures...lol!

Honestly you just need to switch at thirds on the first tank, and at two thirds used on the second tank. If you feel off-balance then you need to switch more often.

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    What's consensus these days on regulator switching for gas management...every 250psi? 500?
    Good to hear your news. Typically if you ask 10 sidemounters of their opinion on something, expect 11 different responses. There is no solid school on gas switching because most side mounting is sidemount configuration with no intent on doing small. My preference is to breath one regulator 300psi at depth, which allows me to check the operation, and then move to the other regulator for same span. Allows me to see their function at depth without being too far from the entrance. Have fun.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Figured when I asked the question that their would be multiple options. nature of the activity.
    Just wanted a window of acceptability to start working with. Kakuk said that breathing one cylinder down by 1/3 may leave you too little gas if you have a total failure at turn range or so in your other tank. Haven't worked the math and possible redundancy/volume problems there yet. I think I'll be very conservative and do 300 psi switches initially, as Kelly suggested.

300, 600, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300, 300, etc.

Ken Sallot

Special Forum Member

I keep my tanks within 500 psi of each other. So if I start with A-3600 and B-3500, I breathe A to 3000, switch to B, breathe it to 2500, switch to A. Less reg switching but keeps the tanks fairly balanced. I'm fully convinced if I breathed one down a complete third before switching, Murphy would instantly zap the full tank.

I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

Quote Originally Posted by sskasser View Post
    I keep my tanks within 500 psi of each other. So if I start with A-3600 and B-3500, I breathe A to 3000, switch to B, breathe it to 2500, switch to A. Less reg switching but keeps the tanks fairly balanced. I'm fully convinced if I breathed one down a complete third before switching, Murphy would instantly zap the full tank.
    I breathe a little less than 1/6 out of my right tank
    Then breathe a little less than 1/3 out of my left tank
    Then switch back and breathe a little less than 1/6 out of my right tank again..

Then it's time to turn around.

This keeps both sides within 1/6 of each other during the entire dive.

I don't have to do math in my head, I just remember my turn pressure and breathe halfway to it on the right, then all the way to it on the left then all the way to it on the right again.

I do like Shirley. Also in the beginning like Kelly Just to make sure before I get to far back. So far everything stays balanced and it's simple for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill