Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking Computer transmitters in the overhead

Computer transmitters are becoming more common. I'd like to get some constructive feedback on these from the community. Has anyone observed or personally encountered problems with them? Instructors, do you allow your students to dive with them during any of your overhead courses? Why or why not? Does anyone dive with them not in a training situation? Is there a higher failure risk with a standard HP gauge (assuming brass/glass) with multiple o-rings or the single 0-ring/electronics with the transmitter? Thoughts about diving both? I'm really interested in your thoughtful responses. Thanks!

I don't use them. I have more trust in a mechanical SPG, and I prefer the simple, low tech (and usually cheaper) approach to dive gear, and most other things.

Mike

I have a cave buddy who uses transmitters in sidemount with a larger button SPG on each reg just in case he were to encounter an issue with the transmitters... For the record, he swears he has never had an issue once underway on a dive... He did have one time where a transmitter gave him fits connecting on the surface, but that was resolved quickly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have not heard of any issues with the newer designs lately, but I would have no issue using them if they were cost effective. I would probably put a button gauge on them but on to check at the surface. If the transmitter goes, it's the same as an SPG going for me, so dive gets turned. I don't believe in using analog SPG's as redundancy. As soon as they get cost effective I'll probably switch, but I don't see that happening anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    I have not heard of any issues with the newer designs lately, but I would have no issue using them if they were cost effective. I would probably put a button gauge on them but on to check at the surface. If the transmitter goes, it's the same as an SPG going for me, so dive gets turned. I don't believe in using analog SPG's as redundancy. As soon as they get cost effective I'll probably switch, but I don't see that happening anytime soon
    That doubles the potential failure points...

Dive Safe,
    Frank

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

I used to use them when I just used backgas, and I still use them in open water. But the only one I still have has stopped transmitting, probably because it's nineteen years old.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    That doubles the potential failure points...
    it does but like anything you have to weight risk vs. reward. Risk here is that yes, a button gauge can fail if the bourdon tube explodes. I haven't seen a button gauge do that or heard of one doing it. The reward is not needing your computer or a separate pressure checker to verify your fill pressures. If reward wins, put a button gauge on there, if risk wins, plug it

I use them. Have for several years. I had one issue a long time ago with one that would cut out then in. After switching to the oceanic style, no issues since. I sometimes have a spg backup, but I don't care if I don't. The only failure I have ever had that terminated a dive was a SPG.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    it does but like anything you have to weight risk vs. reward. Risk here is that yes, a button gauge can fail if the bourdon tube explodes. I haven't seen a button gauge do that or heard of one doing it. The reward is not needing your computer or a separate pressure checker to verify your fill pressures. If reward wins, put a button gauge on there, if risk wins, plug it
    That makes no sense. If you trust them then great. If not, it's stupid doubling potential failure points to make it work....ether it's safe or it isn't.

Dive Safe,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    That makes no sense. If you trust them then great. If not, it's stupid doubling potential failure points to make it work....ether it's safe or it isn't.
    read what i wrote, not what you think i wrote. It has nothing to do with being in the water. It is the convenience of being able to check them at the surface without having to pull your computer out to verify pressures. if you deem that a convenience worth putting a button gauge on, then do it. if not, it's not going to change anything in the water. If you have regs like a DS4, then you don't have to worry about it since you only have one HP port to begin with