Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Only "special" people get to go though unfortunately.

Apparently Gran Cenote has also raised its prices sharply and has stopped cavern tours following the recent fatality involving a certified [for one day] diver. Go figure ... the community there is leaning toward requiring local dive guides for all certified cave divers. But things change by the day, and it all could be different by next week. No way will I spend $100 to dive at Dos Ojos, even, sadly, the Pit.

Barbara/San Francisco

what price at Gran Cenote?

I don't understand how the reactions of the cenote owners correlate with preventing the fatalities that occurred: looking back at the last three accidents (that I'm aware of), we had an uncertified solo diver trespassing at Dos Ojos, and the result was a requirement for guides there and at nearby cenotes. Then we had the fatality at Calavera, where a guide broke all the rules on a cavern tour. The result: more places requiring guides. And last was the accident at Grand Cenote, where a guide on a cave dive pulled the jumps after he lost his diver. And they ban cavern tours there. And will likely require guides in even more places. Where's the logic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kafkaland View Post
    I don't understand how the reactions of the cenote owners correlate with preventing the fatalities that occurred: looking back at the last three accidents (that I'm aware of), we had an uncertified solo diver trespassing at Dos Ojos, and the result was a requirement for guides there and at nearby cenotes. Then we had the fatality at Calavera, where a guide broke all the rules on a cavern tour. The result: more places requiring guides. And last was the accident at Grand Cenote, where a guide on a cave dive pulled the jumps after he lost his diver. And they ban cavern tours there. And will likely require guides in even more places. Where's the logic?
    Don't try to make sense of it, because it won't make any. The only take home message is that for most of the larger, well managed cenotes (Dos Ojos, Grand Cenote, Pet Cemetery) cave divers are a no money pain that they don't need. They look at cave divers as something they just need to deal with, not as a real source of income. Unfortunately, now they're getting smart and realizing that they don't really need to deal with us if they don't want to.

On the other side of the coin there are the smaller site owners such as the family that own access to Sac Be Ha that enjoy the money they get from cave divers and try to protect their cave. On this past trip, even with a note in Spanish from Kim from Protec explaining that we are good divers, we still had to convince the person with the key to let us dive. They really don't want their cave trashed by just anyone, so they limit access for the sake of the sacred cenote and cave, not because cave divers are a pain.

The part I don't quite understand... From the perspective of a cenote owner in what way are cave divers more of a pain than the cavern tours? When a guide kills 1 or 3 divers on a "professional" cavern tour, isn't that a pain to the owner? Having seen the way these tours are conducted, it seems to me that all these OW divers lacking any cave skill/awareness on a cavern tour that often times turns into a cave tour is a recipe for disaster. It's the cave divers who are by far more qualified to dive overhead conditions, than OW divers with a guide after a short briefing. Yet, cave divers are non-grata these days, not the OW crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by oceancurrent View Post
    The part I don't quite understand... From the perspective of a cenote owner in what way are cave divers more of a pain than the cavern tours?

Cave diver = more car space/paying diver for a much longer time..same applies for facilities usage like benches etc.
    you can squeeze in so much more cavern tour divers than cave divers = much bigger bottom line..

From what I have seen the large crowds are snorklers followed by the ow cenote tour crowd. The cave divers are such a small market they don't won't to fool with it. I have heard the owners get fined in some cases when a cave diver dies in their cave.

Quote Originally Posted by oceancurrent View Post
    The part I don't quite understand... From the perspective of a cenote owner in what way are cave divers more of a pain than the cavern tours? When a guide kills 1 or 3 divers on a "professional" cavern tour, isn't that a pain to the owner? Having seen the way these tours are conducted, it seems to me that all these OW divers lacking any cave skill/awareness on a cavern tour that often times turns into a cave tour is a recipe for disaster. It's the cave divers who are by far more qualified to dive overhead conditions, than OW divers with a guide after a short briefing. Yet, cave divers are non-grata these days, not the OW crowds.
    It's not cavern divers. It's snorkelers, bubble watchers, and the people that just want to swim in their cenotes or do one of their other activities like ziplining that are their moneymakers. They work with the tour groups that take tons of people from cruise ships and all inclusives to their cenotes and it's a repeat business. Alot of the cavern tours fall under that same heading because they're often booked by tour groups. So that makes them a little more easy to deal with than just cave divers. Remember cave divers aren't a regular repeat over and over business for them all the time. Everything else is.

I see quite a few cave divers on the forum that use the all inclusives as their home base. I think as our small protest we should really avoid them. For one their taking over the area, look like crap, and are taking away from the quaintness of the area. They also support alot of the cenotes that are shunning divers by setting up tours for their guests at these cenotes. And I guarantee they take some toll on the karst. So it may not make any major difference, but at least we should all avoid staying at these places, start frequenting the smaller (better) cenotes as opposed to the bigger ones, and pump our money into the local economy by eating at the awesome small food stands and carts rather than the big all inclusives.