Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Volunteers Needed at Peacock Springs Starting March 25

If you have been to Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park you might have noticed several facilities in need of repair. The NFSA is working with the Florida Park Service to make the repairs. The stairs leading from the deck to the water at P1 are falling apart, and the NFSA will be rebuilding them. We will begin work on March 25 (your help is needed) and will be working on Saturdays and Sundays for at least 5 weekends to get everything done. We will work on one side at a time in order to allow diver access during construction.

At the same time we will be rebuilding and improving the changing room at P1. The basic floor plan will remain the same, but we will be adding a roof to keep you dry during wet weather. At Orange Grove, the park will be replacing some of the stair treads and deck boards and improving the railings. The NFSA will be purchasing handitreads to improve your footing.

The total cost for materials will be approximately $7,700, of which, the NFSA will contribute $5,700 and the park $2,000. While the NFSA has funds to cover the costs, donations would be greatly appreciated. Donate buttons specific to this work will be on the NFSA website early next week.

More importantly, we will need your help throughout the project. If we get 5 or 6 volunteers for each day (more are needed on the first day), the construction will go faster. Construction experience is not needed and lunch will be provided. If you think you might be able to help, post a response, or call or text me at 850-728-0098.

Thanks,
    Mike Stine

Mike
    Are you going to set up a site for donations like what was done with the Martz Sink project? That made it very easy to make donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Mike
    Are you going to set up a site for donations like what was done with the Martz Sink project? That made it very easy to make donations.

Thanks for the inquiry Brent.
    The link is http://northfloridaspringsalliance.org/donate.html
    Donations allow us to complete projects that provide tangible benefits to the visitors. Many are unaware that the steps to the water at P1 are over 20 years old, and the changing room 10 years old. They have withstood years of use, and repeated floodings,but they are in disrepair. we greatly appreciate your donation.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

If anyone is interested in making a financial contribution to these projects, we now have project specific donate buttons on the NFSA homepage.

http://www.northfloridaspringsalliance.org/

Quote Originally Posted by NFSA View Post
    If anyone is interested in making a financial contribution to these projects, we now have project specific donate buttons on the NFSA homepage.

http://www.northfloridaspringsalliance.org/
    I think I was "last" on the Madison donation project, so this time I'm beating the rush. Donation has been made! If all you guys and gals that have ever dove Peacock will just give a few bucks ( or a lot of bucks ) to this project, it will certainly be a tremendous help to the NFSA. Break out that moldy money!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I think I was "last" on the Madison donation project, so this time I'm beating the rush. Donation has been made! If all you guys and gals that have ever dove Peacock will just give a few bucks ( or a lot of bucks ) to this project, it will certainly be a tremendous help to the NFSA. Break out that moldy money!!
    Thanks Brent your support is greatly appreciated.

People may not be aware but cave divers paid for and built the steps/platform at P1 and the walkway as well. Before the walkway, many of us will remember sinking ankle deep in mud with a set of gear on, and some people falling.

The NFSA uses donations to fund these projects, and we can't function without your support.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

We will be starting this weekend and could really use some more help. If you are available, or need more information call me at 850-728-0098.
    Mike

We are less than 2 days from starting and could use more help this weekend. On Saturday we will be having the lumber delivered, demolishing the old changing room and setting the new posts, and starting on the steps. If all goes well, we should have the changing room walls back up on Sunday. Any amount of help will be appreciated. Bring hand tools, electric drills and drivers, gloves and eye protection if you have them. Lunch will be provided. If you are available, or need more information call me at 850-728-0098.
    Mike

Peacock 1 Project Update

Nice day at Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park. Talked to three instructors with cavern and cave students, several groups of divers from US, Norway, and the former Czech Republic, and a number of families taking advantage of the cool water and the interpretive trail. This park is a deal for $5 a car!

As you may know from this site, the P1 steps are in need of repair. The current steps were put in place under the direction of Bill Rennaker and Dale Moats(sp), the carpenter. I talked to Bill today, and he said he hoped the steps that were originally installed in 1993/1994 would last 25+ years. But 23 to 24 years are not bad.

We were curious about the installation of the changing room and just happened to see Tom Johnson(TJ) in the park. Turns out that he and his uncle bought the wood for it in the early 2000s. They may have started the construction which was completed by someone else. Again, the park got 15 or so good years out of them.

We had a productive day considering the number of volunteers we had. We removed the complete right side of the steps, posts, and railings. The left side with rails on both sides are still available to enter the water while we rebuild the right side. A few treads and posts were OK but we have definitely gotten our use out of the stringers and the remaining treads and posts. After we removed them, we realized some were in worst shape than the original inspection indicated.

Also, we removed the changing room and dug a few post holes for the new structure which will look similar to the one at Cow.

In spite of our progress, we are behind where we would like to have been after Day 1. Our original goal was to finish in 5 weeks but that will not be possible of we do not get more volunteers. If you can help, let us know or just show up at about 8:30 AM. If you can donate a few hours between dives, that would help. Unskilled labor is fine which really helps Steve Boyer and Rb Havens concentrate of the more technical aspects of the project. We will provide lunch for you.

Thanks to Cathy Lesh and Dive Outpost - CAVE DIving AT ITS BEST; Thomas Sergent and Cave Excursions for pizza and nitrox fills; and @Nestle Water for water.

Safe diving,

Sandy Robinson

Sandy, will there be a work weekend next weekend? If we work during the day, can we dive that night? Hostage trade sort of thing? I would like to help, but it's a long drive for no diving.