Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: What configuration do you dive?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Backmount

54 35.29%
  • Sidemount

58 37.91%
  • Backmount Rebreather

31 20.26%
  • Sidemount Rebreather

6 3.92%
  • Backmount, but switching to Sidemount soon

2 1.31%
  • I don't "do" mounts.

2 1.31%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What configuration do you dive?

At the request of another member... pick the answer that best describes your MOST OFTEN USED dive configuration. Obviously, some switch depending on the cave, but what's your go-to for the majority of your dives now?

None of those adequately describe the type of diving I do, and it implies that sidemount is the only direction of progression. I know a guy that dove sidemount only because he had bad knees, then went to backmounted doubles after he had surgery. Where's his option?

A better set of options would be backmounted of any type or sidemount of any type or "mission dependent." That's the goal right? See which general category is more popular? What about the guys who dive a backmount rebreather with a sidemounted bail out rebreather? Or guys that dive half and half? What about guys that dive backmount rebreather but OC sidemount? What about sidemount rebreather in a cave but doubles in open water?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    None of those adequately describe the type of diving I do, and it implies that sidemount is the only direction of progression. I know a guy that dove sidemount only because he had bad knees, then went to backmounted doubles after he had surgery. Where's his option?

A better set of options would be backmounted of any type or sidemount of any type or "mission dependent." That's the goal right? See which general category is more popular? What about the guys who dive a backmount rebreather with a sidemounted bail out rebreather? Or guys that dive half and half? What about guys that dive backmount rebreather but OC sidemount? What about sidemount rebreather in a cave but doubles in open water?
    so what poll options do you want to see? I thought the clarification with most often used is pretty accurate. Mission dependent still has you reverting to a configuration for your "normal" dives. bmccr with smccr bailout isn't that common but it's still primarily a bmccr unit. Half and half you can't do anything about unfortunately. bmccr and oc sidemount would still be which one you grab most regularly. smccr in a cave but doubles in OW would be a strange configuration, but I do fit in oc sm in cave, but doubles in OW, but we are on a cave diving forum, so our OW configuration isn't relevant

Well, I would have thought leading the second paragraph with "a better set of options" would have been pretty clear....

The implication in the other thread was that sidemount was more popular. Turns out that may not be accurate, so a poll was requested to clarify people's preference, but instead of a simple poll we get one that obfuscates the issue even more.

That you have to try and justify why other choices shouldn't be present is argument enough that the poll isn't going to provide any meaningful information as written.

How about:
    Backmount (of any sort)
    Sidemount (of any sort)
    Other

It'll decide quite reasonably whether backmount or sidemount is the more popular overall choice.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post

I have yet to see a poll that covers all the possibilities.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I knew someone would be offended... just glad that of the dozens that have voted so far, only one person has a problem reading each choice. Your buddy's option would be "back mounted" by the way, as it's "what he dives now".

And I know you're only looking for a debate of some kind, but it won't be found here. This is a "simple" poll. Not a debate.

Some of us can add sidemount + sidemount ccr, and then backmount + backmount ccr and derive the same conclusion that your simplified poll would show. If it's an "other", then we don't care, as it doesn't fit in the equation of the "which is most popular" to you.

It's not a simple poll though. That's the point. The question posed in the other thread was "does anyone dive backmount" implying that it's the minority these days. Literally the most simple question derived would be "do you dive some form of backmount or some form of sidemount." So in response, a poll that obfuscates the issue even more is created.....

And FW, that's the problem, like you mentioned in the other thread where sidemounters wouldn't respond because of the nature of the thread, I, and given the view count of the thread compared to the number of poll responses, others are not responding either because the poll is more complicated than it needs to be and is too narrow in scope to apply to them. It certainly doesn't apply to me, but only because it was poorly written, which makes it pretty useless as a poll.

You poor thing. You want two of the same exact options that are there. You also want an "other". Why? What does "other" do for the sake of comparing how many sidemount divers there are in relation to backmount divers? Nothing. You're whining. In contrary, by adding the CCR options, we can gather more information about the two main configurations, while still using their individual sums for the broad comparison. You're literally whining. Someone else is going to have to trim the crust off of your sandwich bread.

Also, you can't compare "views" of a thread to "responses" for your own arguments' sake. Many view the same thread over and over after they vote to see how the polls are trending. That's why you vote...

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
    You poor thing. You want two of the same exact options that are there. You also want an "other". Why? What does "other" do for the sake of comparing how many sidemount divers there are in relation to backmount divers? Nothing. You're whining. In contrary, by adding the CCR options, we can gather more information about the two main configurations, while still using their individual sums for the broad comparison. You're literally whining. Someone else is going to have to trim the crust off of your sandwich bread.

Also, you can't compare "views" of a thread to "responses" for your own arguments' sake. Many view the same thread over and over after they vote to see how the polls are trending. That's why you vote...
    Quit being an ass. The choices suck, and many aren't responding because of it.

Dive Safe,
    Frank

Even you seemed to find the perfect outlier answer. I think you guys are just afraid to be labeled in a public poll. Maybe one of you can start an anonymous one with only two choices and an "other" with an explanation so everyone can take turns with the metaphorical Louisville Slugger and the poor dead horse. Is that what you guys prefer? Seriously, explain why the choices suck, and why you can't infer the exact same data from the choices offered when it encompasses the "alternative" choices that you'd prefer? This seems to be more of a case of "all the cool kids are over at Billy's sleepover and we didn't want to get invited anyway."