Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: What configuration do you dive?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Backmount

54 35.29%
  • Sidemount

58 37.91%
  • Backmount Rebreather

31 20.26%
  • Sidemount Rebreather

6 3.92%
  • Backmount, but switching to Sidemount soon

2 1.31%
  • I don't "do" mounts.

2 1.31%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Time Out User

Sidemount for sidemount cave or sidemount passage. Backmount rebreather for any dive requiring trimix, long durations or long penetration. Backmount doubles for everything else like God intended. All about the right tool for the job. Sidemount rebreather are also useful for identifing tools. There are only a very small handful of people in usa that will utilize a sidemount rebreather to its full potential.

Sidemount has been better for my lifestyle. My knees and back prefer SM. Also, there is a real risk if falling with BM. Walking in or especially out on gravel/ pebble base is difficult. One foot sinks very quickly in pebbles when carrying a lot of weight. Also, climbing a long wooden ladder is a lot easier without BM weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
    Sidemount for sidemount cave or sidemount passage. Backmount rebreather for any dive requiring trimix, long durations or long penetration. Backmount doubles for everything else like God intended. All about the right tool for the job. Sidemount rebreather are also useful for identifing tools. There are only a very small handful of people in usa that will utilize a sidemount rebreather to its full potential.
    This is why the choices suck. There's no good choice for people who dive like this.

Dive Safe,
    Frank

Backmount usually with backmount rebreather when I need it.

OP, I think your choices are fine!

All of the above depending on what the cave requires. Backmount is my preferred be it CCR or O/C but I'm proficient in sidemount and use it when needed. I generally dive CCR, but I still enjoy a good dive in o/c. In fact, did a nice simple dive with B/M 108's and stage yesterday.

I prefer sidemount steels in caves, a breather in big deep caves and long ocean dives, backmount in ocean or in cave if everyone else is in them, single tank on ow dives. Guess I'm lucky to have a least a couple of everything. My next dives are where single AL80s are the only tanks, so I'll be sidemounting those.

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
    ...exactly like this plus ... single for warm water pretty fish diving I have dabbled with a BOB to try and get rid of multiple bailouts for the big dives but so far, for me, the complexity not getting over the balancing point yet.

I tend to favour the backmounted rebreather 80% of the time

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

My answer wasn't a choice, either. Sidemount if the dive requires it, otherwise backmount with at least one stage.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    My answer wasn't a choice, either. Sidemount if the dive requires it, otherwise backmount with at least one stage.
    your choice was backmount. OP is below, and based on that, you would choose backmount since that is your go-to unless the cave calls for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
    At the request of another member... pick the answer that best describes your MOST OFTEN USED dive configuration. Obviously, some switch depending on the cave, but what's your go-to for the majority of your dives now?

My choice wasn't there either. I dive Scuba Pro regs. Sidemount with SP regs wasn't an option. Ugh. Options suck.