Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Found on Facebook - Indian Springs Purchase

Copied from Facebook

This is today!!

Matt (and crew),

On January 17th the Wakulla County Commissioners will meet to decide if they agree for the county to put a request in to the state. The request will be for the state to purchase the property of Indian Springs, specifically for cave diving and recreational use such as camping and equestrian (land north of 267 has horse facilities on it)

We have been asked to find people who can come show support for this. The fear is currently that the land will fall into the hands of a developer who will clear the land and parcel the property off as they are doing all over the county. The commissioner pushing this is specifically listing cave diving as a use of the property, unlike Wakulla which is of course closed to cave diving.

We’d like to see if you and your cave diving friends can join us on January 17th and make a brief statement in support of the state acquiring the land.

I have contacted heads of each training organization but the commissioners want to hear from locals, primarily.

If you have any questions please let me know. If you have specifics that the commissioner may be better suited to discussing his email is chess@mywakulla.com

Thank you.

Travis Kersting

Wakulla Diving Center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

Might be good to name this thread about Indian springs to get more traction

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    Might be good to name this thread about Indian springs to get more traction
    Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
    Good idea

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

Default Found on Facebook - Indian Springs Purchase

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

FYI --

There was a decent turn-out from cave divers and the Wakulla County Commission voted 5-0 in favor of asking the state to buy the property.

Please note, while their vote is not to actually buy the property, but to ask the state to buy the property, it's still an important first step.

Ken Sallot

I am willing and able to volunteer to design/build a new dock and steps similar to Emerald. With such a minimal grade to the water it could include a handicap accessible ramp as well.

If the state purchases it, won't they want to be responsible for the access? Or is this not how other sites have come to be? Asking out of ignorance. I'd love to help out with such a project.

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    FYI --

There was a decent turn-out from cave divers and the Wakulla County Commission voted 5-0 in favor of asking the state to buy the property.

Please note, while their vote is not to actually buy the property, but to ask the state to buy the property, it's still an important first step.
    What ever happened to the Trust for Public Lands that Bruce Ryan was associated with? a cave diver going to him was the impetus in the purchase of the 700 acre tract of land north of Peacock for protection of the water shed.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Has there been any other news or development regarding the potential sale of Indian Springs?

Thank you,

Brandon