Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post

If you're fat and out of shape or skinny and out of shape start thinking to yourself about your activities.

I'm overweight but cardiovascularly in shape. But I am also getting older and realize I need to be more proactive in my health and smart in my extracurriculars.

That's all he's trying to say.

Nowadays any miswording or "not stepping lightly" is offensive to somebody. You can't broach a touchy subject without blowback.

Can't people read between the lines and just see the value of the comment?
    There is absolutely value to self evaluation of your physical condition, along with medical evaluation of your physical condition, particularly as we age. The subject is not that touchy. You don't have to say fat and out of shape, or skinny and out of shape, how about just plain out of shape? Its the same message without the benefit of making broad, and sometimes wrong, generalizations about a group of people, and could have been an interesting conversation.

My final contribution to this discussion is this. The OP advocated self assessment, at the same time he decided that people that were round shaped should not be diving. Period. Interjecting your personal bias and prejudices into a conversation about self assessment is the oxymoron here. I'm done with this.

p.s. - I don't think that, if they are in bad physical shape, any of the Hebes, Pollacks, WOPs, Limey's, Colored's, Mackerel Snappers, Micks, Chinks, Coon Asses, Krauts, Gimps, Beaners, Scrobs, Crotes, Peckerwoods, Crackers, Hags, or Mo's should be diving any more than the fatso's, doughboy's or whelephants. Did I miss anyone?

"Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    "p.s. - I don't think that, if they are in bad physical shape, any of the Hebes, Pollacks, WOPs, Limey's, Colored's, Mackerel Snappers, Micks, Chinks, Coon Asses, Krauts, Gimps, Beaners, Scrobs, Crotes, Peckerwoods, Crackers, Hags, or Mo's should be diving any more than the fatso's, doughboy's or whelephants. Did I miss anyone?
    Well, you don't hear that every day.

Last edited by FW; 01-11-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: fixed quote

I think it's marvelous that a demographic of people who tend to lean in the sort of direction that mocks people for being sensitive to political correctness seems electrified with hurt feelings by the word "fat."

Special Member

There is absolutely value to self evaluation of your physical condition, along with medical evaluation of your physical condition, particularly as we age. The subject is not that touchy. You don't have to say fat and out of shape, or skinny and out of shape, how about just plain out of shape? Its the same message without the benefit of making broad, and sometimes wrong, generalizations about a group of people, and could have been an interesting conversation.

My final contribution to this discussion is this. The OP advocated self assessment, at the same time he decided that people that were round shaped should not be diving. Period. Interjecting your personal bias and prejudices into a conversation about self assessment is the oxymoron here. I'm done with this.

p.s. - I don't think that, if they are in bad physical shape, any of the Hebes, Pollacks, WOPs, Limey's, Colored's, Mackerel Snappers, Micks, Chinks, Coon Asses, Krauts, Gimps, Beaners, Scrobs, Crotes, Peckerwoods, Crackers, Hags, or Mo's should be diving any more than the fatso's, doughboy's or whelephants. Did I miss anyone?
    Yes you did, what about all the strokes?

"With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

"Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

OFG-1, well said that Captain Bill is misrepresenting himself as a bigoted person and assumes that overweight, round persons are less capable divers than the fitness gurus that demand a body mass index for the right to enter the water. Captain Bill is discriminating others to make himself feel better about his limitations in the diving realm as I see it. I have dove with plenty of fat guys and girls that had better trim, skills , and problem solving abilities than myself. Captain Bill has only shown himself to be an opinionated ####### with some knowledge of what the ideal weight and physical condition a diver "should" have.....

I don't see any 400lb people pushing the back of weeki...

Well said

Crackers,
    For the record I am a saltine-American

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    nor the entrance

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    Don't see any midgets back there, either. What's your point?

"Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads