Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bil View Post
    I am advocating physical fitness self assessment. I'm not exactly sure what "fat shaming" is. If I call John Doe fat, is that shaming? Probably. If i make a generic statement without singling out anyone, and someone takes offense, is that shaming, or is that a case of the shoe fitting and not liking it? Ditto being judgmental. Admittedly, I should have been clearer. Perhaps better said would be "....shouldn't be diving while in poor physical condition. If walking to water's edge stresses one out, think what exposing oneself to increased pressure for extended periods of time has the potential to do..." Something like that?
    "Fat Shaming - Adj. - expressing mockery or criticism about someone judged to be fat or overweight". Yes, you could have advocated fitness without the rolls of fat, round shape, or 5'8" XXXL drysuit comments. Nothing to do with a shoe fitting here, hell, I have been calling myself a old fat guy for 20 years, was then, am now. And I did not come up with it, about 35 years ago, I was doing a job at Port Canaveral, in a orange wet suit, and at the end of the day, I wore the suit back to the motel. A little girl was standing in the parking lot, and said "Look mommy, there's a fat guy in orange stretch pants". I do not have the orange wet suit anymore, black is more slimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bil View Post
    My personal belief is that being healthy and fit lends itself to quality of life well into old age, genetic and uncontrollable factors notwithstanding. To undertake risky physical activities while physically unhealthy doesn't seem right, at any age.
    We agree on that. The problem is that you do not have to have rolls of fat hanging over your waist or be 5'8" in a XXXL dry suit to be in poor physical condition, nor does it automatically preclude you from being in decent condition. Look at a NFL lineman.

I doubt we would agree on what being in good condition actually means. I can tell you that it is a moving target, based on age, and at 63, I am not the same as at 53, or 43, or 33, or hell, if I were 23 and felt like this, I would have probably hanged myself.

When my knees started getting bad, about 6 years ago, I started riding my bike every day, weather permitting. Most days, I do between 4-6 miles around the neighborhood. When I started, I could do 5 miles in about 25-30 minutes. Now its about 40. Does that mean my physical condition is worse? Knees are, that's for sure.

tbone, you have come up with the perfect "Trump" defense. Don't pay any attention to Bil's words, its whats in his heart that matters.

"Have you noticed that all the people in favour of birth control are already born?"
    "Roses are reddish, violets are bluish. If it weren't for Christmas, we'd all be Jewish."
    "I'm not against half naked girls - not as often as I'd like to be."
    "Do unto others, then run."
    "Girls are like pianos. When they're not upright, they're grand."

Benny Hill 4-20-1992

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3n...-show-clip_fun

"There she was - the cave. Like a big craggy jaw, waiting to snap at anything that came along." Lloyd "Mike Nelson" Bridges 3-10-1998

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    I've been told that the heart attack victim in Ginnie last April was a long distance cyclist who worked out regularly. As one of the four people who carried him out of the water, I can assure you he wasn't fat.

I also believe cardiovascular fitness is incredibly important and do my best to get in a minimum of 3 hours a week.
    I was referring to the one in January...

Captain Bil:

"I'm not exactly sure what "fat shaming" is."

Take your comments about "round shape", "rolls of fat" and substitute the terms "Gay", "Black", "Redneck", "Jew", "Female".

If that change makes your sentence hateful, then you are fat shaming.

There ARE certain activities that being overweight DOES cause a legitimate problem (tail-gunner in a B-17).

But if you just make a blanket statement that being overweight should preclude you from an otherwise productive activity, then you are fat-shaming.

Did you know that during WW2, Blacks were not allowed to serve in certain combat rolls because "they could not see in the dark"?

That up until today, women were arbitrarily excluded from MILLIONS of jobs/duties because they were "too emotional"?

Despite our "enlightened, politically correct" society, it is still considered normal and accepted to denigrate obesity.

What most people refer to as "fat shaming", I call my life. It's all I have ever known.

And YES, I admit it. One of the joys of diving (any kind) is being weightless.

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

O.K. just want to point out that " enlightened , politically correct " is an oxymoron IMHO. If our wetsuits were as thin skinned as we all are these days, we'd all freeze to death. D.H.

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    I've been told that the heart attack victim in Ginnie last April was a long distance cyclist who worked out regularly. As one of the four people who carried him out of the water, I can assure you he wasn't fat.

I also believe cardiovascular fitness is incredibly important and do my best to get in a minimum of 3 hours a week.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Have you guys become so politically correct that you're blind to the valid point he's trying to make?

If you're fat and out of shape or skinny and out of shape start thinking to yourself about your activities.

I'm overweight but cardiovascularly in shape. But I am also getting older and realize I need to be more proactive in my health and smart in my extracurriculars.

That's all he's trying to say.

Nowadays any miswording or "not stepping lightly" is offensive to somebody. You can't broach a touchy subject without blowback.

Can't people read between the lines and just see the value of the comment?

Why is it always the Europeans I see at Ginnie sucking down cigarettes right before getting in the water with their breathers? Sure Americans do it to, but I see way more foreign divers doing it. I guess that's euro-shaming.

Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    Take your comments about "round shape", "rolls of fat" and substitute the terms "Gay", "Black", "Redneck", "Jew", "Female".

If that change makes your sentence hateful, then you are fat shaming.
    I don't agree with Bill when he says fat people shouldn't be allowed to dive... after all, if overweight people were to be barred from diving, rebreather manufacturers would lose 70% of their potential customer base .
    Your analogy is false though, being black or gay or jewish is not at all like being overweight... eating lots of crap and not moving is a choice people make. It's more like smoking or being addicted to drugs as you could change if you wanted to, even if it's not easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    That up until today, women were arbitrarily excluded from MILLIONS of jobs/duties because they were "too emotional"?
    When was that? 30 years ago? It's not true today. Women can get into any job.

Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    tbone, you have come up with the perfect "Trump" defense. Don't pay any attention to Bil's words, its whats in his heart that matters.
    Tom is totally overrated. The crocked main stream forum tries to make Bill look bad but they are totally failing. SAD

The problem with Self Assessment is the self part. People have a hard time being objective about the subjective. This goes for genral health, abilities, training, temperament, knowledge etc. Sometimes an honest outside evaluation needs to precede the self evaluation.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

"Powerbar taste better than cat poop" (old commercial)

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    I don't agree with Bill when he says fat people shouldn't be allowed to dive... after all, if overweight people were to be barred from diving, rebreather manufacturers would lose 70% of their potential customer base .
    70% wouldn't need a ccr if they were in shape, they could do the dives on OC without running outta gas.

Chris Richardson