Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GoPro 5 Hero... reviews from the cave yet?

Just wondering about burn time and video quality in low light if anyone has one yet?

I didn't know how much more battery the LCD would burn, but it's definitely a feature I like. I've got to purchase a new GoPro anyway- wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade to the latest.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
    I've got to purchase a new GoPro anyway- wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade to the latest.
    I went in the other direction and got the cheapest GoPro Hero model, figuring that cave diving would eventually kill it. It was $139.00 two years ago. I'm not sure they make them anymore, but they are still available from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    I went in the other direction and got the cheapest GoPro model, figuring that cave diving would eventually kill it.
    Cave diving doesnt kill goporos. Complacency kills gopros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just remember when the 4's came out, some people said silvers or blacks (I don't remember which) were better for low light, etc. Just wondering if the 5 is comparable to the better of the 4's for low-light and battery burn time.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Cave diving doesnt kill goporos. Complacency kills gopros.

Well, in this case, my carelessness killed it, in that I didn't find and remove a tiny bit of grit on the door gasket before a dive in Cow.

The recommended resuscitative measures were employed without success.

The Blacks are better for low light. I've got a Silver 3, it works fine overall but gets grainy in bigger rooms if there isn't a lot of light

Sent via

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

I used the new Garmin Ultra and was really surprised how well my video came out without using any video light (frame grab below), but I am kinda miffed that there isn't an external battery charger available right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
    Just wondering about burn time and video quality in low light if anyone has one yet?

I didn't know how much more battery the LCD would burn, but it's definitely a feature I like. I've got to purchase a new GoPro anyway- wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade to the latest.

Thanks guys
    Have been wondering the same. Was using a Hero 3 White as a helmet cam but upgraded to a Hero 4 Silver. Was willing to shell out the money for a 5 Black but reviews seem to indicate that it's comparable, perhaps even inferior, to the 4 Silver/Black in low light conditions. One diver swore by the 5 Black but he wasn't comparing against the 4 Silver/Black. The sensor hasn't changed and it's possible that stabilization, if enabled, introduces detrimental side effects. But that's just a guess. I wanted to get the 5 but low light performance was primary and the comparisons I saw pointed toward Hero 4. FWIW.

Well, I bought one last night anyway so I guess I'll know soon enough. I'll come back and update once I test it out. I'm most curious about burn time. I feel like with the right lights and proximity to the camera, I can figure out the picture quality. And with an LCD on the back, perhaps do it on the fly.

I'm not sure about the 5, but I don't think that was an option on the 4 - https://youtu.be/yBqPibH4mtA