Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Remote exhaust valve versue non-exhaust elbow

I just wanted to hear some opinions regarding the benefits/negatives about remote exhaust valves versus non-exhaust elbows. Thanks.

Default Almost everyone

Changes the pull dump to the elbow for cave diving. It is a point of failure that is not exceptable. might be great for wreck and deep diving.

If you don't pull on it, it's not a failure point.
    Can't see the advantage of changing it out--time and money spent for no gain. If you don't want to pull on it (and I can't remember the last time I pulled on mine) then don't.

deepblue

Quote Originally Posted by WJH
    Can't see the advantage of changing it out--time and money spent for no gain. If you don't want to pull on it (and I can't remember the last time I pulled on mine) then don't.

deepblue
    I do like the convenience/option of a pull dump, but on my sidemount rig I have switched out to a plain elbow. I actually had the head of the pull dump separate from contact with the ceiling in some "snug" passage.
    Lee

Safe Diving

Default Re: Remote exhaust valve versue non-exhaust elbow

Quote Originally Posted by Serota
    I just wanted to hear some opinions regarding the benefits/negatives about remote exhaust valves versus non-exhaust elbows. Thanks.
    I suggest to all my cave students (and many other cave instructors do as well) to change it. Install the elbow, get rid of the dump.

$15 & 15 minutes is what it takes to do it.

I too installed elbows on both my backmount, and sidemount. The the SM rig, my wings are flipped over so the elbow is actually against my right shoulder, therefore protecting it from overhead scrapes. I do not feel it at all while diving that way.

"If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space"

www.floridacavediver.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarfl
    Quote Originally Posted by WJH

deepblue
    I do like the convenience/option of a pull dump, but on my sidemount rig I have switched out to a plain elbow. I actually had the head of the pull dump separate from contact with the ceiling in some "snug" passage.
    Lee
    I changed to an elbow on my sidemount rig because the pull dump was big and bulky, and I started having problems with with it leaking gas because bits of sand and silt were getting stuck around the seal.

the pull dump can come apart eventually if you pull on it. A friend of mine had to climb out of Devil's Ear a few years ago after it came apart. He didnt yank on it hard (so he says) but he used it all the time. Good thing he had a wall to climb; all his buddies had to do was laugh.

Last week I spotted a pull dump valve leaking a little bit during a bubble check. My buddy didn't ever use the pull dump. I said, "give it a little yank and blow the crud out." That worked, the leak stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by John L.
    I too installed elbows on both my backmount, and sidemount. The the SM rig, my wings are flipped over so the elbow is actually against my right shoulder, therefore protecting it from overhead scrapes. I do not feel it at all while diving that way.

Off topic but DAMN! what happened to you?? now your all "preppy"looking with that button shirt and tie. Whats goin on? Are you running for an election?

(this will probably be deleted, i have hi-jakced the thread, and it may not appear it, but it was a joke)

today could be the greatest day of my life

Quote Originally Posted by DanMitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by John L.

Off topic but DAMN! what happened to you?? now your all "preppy"looking with that button shirt and tie. Whats goin on? Are you running for an election?

You should'nt compliment a man on a public forum with a gay flag on the bottom of you post! Actually, a good friend of mine told me that everyone should have a good picture on their avitar so you will recognize them at the tailgate at the dive sites. It's easier to recognize someone that way instead of a picture with a hood and mask on.

(this will probably be deleted, i have hi-jakced the thread, and it may not appear it, but it was a joke)

"If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space"

www.floridacavediver.com