Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Looking to buy Nomad LS, not many reviews, need advice

Mostly will be diving in a 3mm wetsuit. 2 steel tanks - LP85s, + 40cu alum deco at times. Do you think 35lb is enough lift for such a config?

Any opinion on Nomad LS? I like that it is streamlined, not bulky, but does not look "home made" in a way of appearing flimsy. Plus, it conceals all its valves, making valve damage less likely. Also like its wing shape that puts most of air to the hips, unlike Hollis solutions that continue to bring air to the shoulders. Just want a straight up solution without much mods. Seriously don't see a need to add buoyancy to shoulders so I can add more weight there to offset that buoyancy.

I have SMS100 and like how it is built, very hard to damage. However, I want something less bulky. Not sure if I want SMS75, Nomad LS looks closer to what I envision. Still feel like SMS75 is half-baked buoyancy wise.

Since the coveted rig is so new, does anyone have any opinion on it? How does LS feel like, is buoyancy really all in the hip area?

35lbs is more than enough, my Katana is fine in a 5mm with lp121's and two stages as long as the depth isn't too bad, 85's in a 3mm is that much better

I think the Katana is worth looking at for you, try to get them in the water together, I'm not sure who else in Florida will have them, but Edd certainly does up in Marianna

I went from the SMS100 to a Stealth because the SMS was huge, bulky, and didn't travel well. At the time Dive Rite only had the LT out which wasn't enough lift. Then they came out with the LTZ which was OK. It seems like the LTZ was a place holder while they came out with the real product. It seems the LS is the real product. It took what was good about the LT and made some good changes. I bought one for my girlfriend for her Florida rig. She loves her LT but needed something for her Worthingtons. The LS has worked out really well. It's an easy rig to jump right into without any major adjustments. The wing still does beach ball a little like the LTZ did, but I'm sure someone will come up with a mod. Personally I don't think it beachballs enough to really be a problem If I wasn't happy with my Stealth I'd get and LS. I may still get one. I'm about to start scootering regularly and I think having an over the shoulder dump would be nice so I don't have to stretch back as far as I do in my Stealth.

Plenty enough lift. I historically am not a DR fan at all because of previous poor quality gear. I've got no issues with the LS and I think DR manufacturing is going in the right direction.

I dove the LS with 85s and a stage, I also dove an LS with lp 120s and a stage.

I didn't have any issue with either; although your bladder will be pretty full at the surface with the 120s.

I did the math and a 5mm wetsuit and the back up bladder will keep you positive if you lose the main bladder w/ lp 120s.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpcf View Post
    although your bladder will be pretty full at the surface with the 120s
    1) How did you like the buoyancy with the wing? Was it lifting an appropriate side of the body, giving you a good trim?
    2) Did you use any weights for trim?
    3) How were the valves? Did you feel like they were hidden from possible scraping? I am a scraper, I know I will scrape.
    4) Overall, how was the build of the rig? Felt solid for use with steel tanks? Didn't feel like it was about to pop something? Since I'll be diving off the boat too, it might need to handle hanging steel tanks on the surface.

I havent dove it but I can add info.
    1). The lift appears to be right in the right spot. Mostly over your butt and lower back
    2) i doubt most people would need trim weights. Biggest problem for people needing shoulder weights is youd have to get rid of the shoulder dump arrangement. But I cant imagine most people needing any
    4). Build quality is very good. Nothing cheap or flimsy

As I said I havent dove it but did all the setup for my girlfriend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was, kinda, maybe, considering getting one with two bladders. My worry is that the second deflated bladder might be taking some space on the other side of the wing, where the main wing will be unable to expand fully on that side, giving uneven lift, making me list. Do you think it is a valid concern if I were to go with dual bladder? Is the second bladder removable?

10lb isn't going to do a whole lot for you with those tanks, best to have redundant buoyancy that is enough to actually use. That said, it won't cause any negative effects that are measurable in terms of trim or capacity.

The stealth is coming out with a dual bladder tec...just throwing that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotus View Post
    The stealth is coming out with a dual bladder tec...just throwing that out there.

I know that you can put two stealth wings on as well. They way I've seen it online was one wing under the other. A couple of weeks ago at Ginnie I saw a foreign diver wearing two. One was the normal way. The other was flipped upside down with the dump in the middle of the back. Seemed a little silly, but doable. Obviously that's for the classic wings. The tec will be way easier I'm sure.