Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by SebKister View Post
    If you want to have a smoother gate, you can put two smaller springs on each side ... The first MNemo prototype were built this way. I opted for the one spring off center solution as it gave, in my opinion, a sturdier grip on the line and better accuracy on knotted line. You could also change the current spring to a weaker version. I am using springs from LeeSprings, I can sent you replacement references if needed.
    Thank you Sebastien, but I bought some of the springs Andy suggested.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Sebastien, I am having trouble getting a good compass calibration. I saw your video, and tried that a couple of times. The best number I get is 1, never a 2, and about half are 0. What I don't understand is how you can read the display, especially when the unit is upside down. I am doing the calibration in the woods, away from any metal.

Sump Divers

Update:

I did run into some problems, and Sebastien has been fantastic at addressing them.

I calibrated the unit at 20 feet, then dropped down into the cave at 190 ffw to start surveying. The screen was backlit but blank. It turns out that the LCD used in the screen is variably pressure-sensitive. I completed the survey the old-fashioned way.

I tested the unit in a pressure pot and got the same result - characters fade and the screen goes blank by 160 ffw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_121722.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	16620Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_121809.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	16619

Sebastien sent me an updated version of the firmware which higher LCD contrast but unfortunately that did not help. What he has got is another surveying mode called the 'Basic' mode which uses just the backlight color to indicate what is going on. You calibrate, switch it into backup mode, then go for the dive. I've tried it and it's pretty easy to learn, and for those of us more 'senior' surveyor actually avoids having to read the screen at all underwater. You don't get any reference shots but you can separate it into sections. As long as you know what order you did things in (GoPro!) you can figure out what section goes where. Jason's idea of a slate on the back is a great one.

The springs on either end of the gate seem to work fine and I haven't had any problem with it jamming.

Kudos to Sebasian Kister for being so responsive and helpful. I have no doubt that he will keep refining this thing so we need to give him as much feedback, good and bad, as we can.

Andy

Interesting, interesting. Glad to hear Sebastien is helping out with the issues, I'm a fan of great customer service. I will be excited to see what changes are made with customer feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Sebastien, I am having trouble getting a good compass calibration. I saw your video, and tried that a couple of times. The best number I get is 1, never a 2, and about half are 0. What I don't understand is how you can read the display, especially when the unit is upside down. I am doing the calibration in the woods, away from any metal.
    Concerning the calibration : You can basically ignore the number displayed, they were there for me as a reference for debugging and will be removed in a future update. No need to read the screen, just change the side every 5s or so. Also no need for the device to lay flat, just stable.
    You cannot get a bad calibration ( unless of course you do it in a non neutral environment ). If the calibration finishes, meaning the screen turns green, the calibration is GOOD. By default the device will get stuck in calibration mode if calibration is not at highest standard for the chip, avoiding you by the same way to take faulty compass measures.
    Hope this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by rchrds View Post
    Interesting, interesting. Glad to hear Sebastien is helping out with the issues, I'm a fan of great customer service. I will be excited to see what changes are made with customer feedback!
    Thanks Jason, and thanks for taking the time to do a review of your experience with Mnemo (however disappointing it was).
    I'll post in the next days a detailed answer that, hopefully, should answer and solve most of the difficulties you had during the survey.
    I still have to adapt to the fact that I have to deal, at distance, with "Customers" , so far the device was used by local cave divers, here in Yucatan, to whom I had a chance to give a demonstration in person on how to use MNemo and give them as well the tips and tricks necessary to get a good survey with the device.
    Hopefully everybody will get there.
    Cheers !

Hi Jason,

your unit has been tested, by me in this case, during a survey dive, then taken apart, cleaned, checked, reassembled, then packaged.
    To operate the gate take the lever between thumb and index, apply a rotational force forward and then pull the lever back. This should do the job.
    Cheers
    Thanks for the suggestion and confirmation of testing (especially in water, which I am sure is time consuming). I'll give this a shot before trying the two springs option. Like everyone else, I see a lot of promise with this tool (in my case for research re-surveys of existing line without a dive partner), and look forward to getting all of the kinks worked out.

Jason Gulley

A tips and tricks document would be great once you've had a chance to see what issues people have been running into.

Concerning the calibration : You can basically ignore the number displayed, they were there for me as a reference for debugging and will be removed in a future update. No need to read the screen, just change the side every 5s or so. Also no need for the device to lay flat, just stable.
    You cannot get a bad calibration ( unless of course you do it in a non neutral environment ). If the calibration finishes, meaning the screen turns green, the calibration is GOOD. By default the device will get stuck in calibration mode if calibration is not at highest standard for the chip, avoiding you by the same way to take faulty compass measures.
    Hope this will help.
    I will try that. Much easier than what I have been doing. Thanks!

Sump Divers

I just communicated with Sebastian, and he has updated the MNemoBridge software to implement Imperial units. http://arianesline.azurewebsites.net...ane/IndexLocal
    You will need to change Metric to Imperial next to the Read button in MNemoBridge.

Thanks Sebastian!

Sump Divers