Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74
  1. #61
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    21,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebKister View Post
    If you want to have a smoother gate, you can put two smaller springs on each side ... The first MNemo prototype were built this way. I opted for the one spring off center solution as it gave, in my opinion, a sturdier grip on the line and better accuracy on knotted line. You could also change the current spring to a weaker version. I am using springs from LeeSprings, I can sent you replacement references if needed.
    Thank you Sebastien, but I bought some of the springs Andy suggested.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  2. #62
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    21,657

    Default

    Sebastien, I am having trouble getting a good compass calibration. I saw your video, and tried that a couple of times. The best number I get is 1, never a 2, and about half are 0. What I don't understand is how you can read the display, especially when the unit is upside down. I am doing the calibration in the woods, away from any metal.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #63

    Default

    Update:

    I did run into some problems, and Sebastien has been fantastic at addressing them.

    I calibrated the unit at 20 feet, then dropped down into the cave at 190 ffw to start surveying. The screen was backlit but blank. It turns out that the LCD used in the screen is variably pressure-sensitive. I completed the survey the old-fashioned way.

    I tested the unit in a pressure pot and got the same result - characters fade and the screen goes blank by 160 ffw.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_121722.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	16620Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_121809.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	16619

    Sebastien sent me an updated version of the firmware which higher LCD contrast but unfortunately that did not help. What he has got is another surveying mode called the 'Basic' mode which uses just the backlight color to indicate what is going on. You calibrate, switch it into backup mode, then go for the dive. I've tried it and it's pretty easy to learn, and for those of us more 'senior' surveyor actually avoids having to read the screen at all underwater. You don't get any reference shots but you can separate it into sections. As long as you know what order you did things in (GoPro!) you can figure out what section goes where. Jason's idea of a slate on the back is a great one.

    The springs on either end of the gate seem to work fine and I haven't had any problem with it jamming.

    Kudos to Sebasian Kister for being so responsive and helpful. I have no doubt that he will keep refining this thing so we need to give him as much feedback, good and bad, as we can.

    Andy


  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thinking of Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    Interesting, interesting. Glad to hear Sebastien is helping out with the issues, I'm a fan of great customer service. I will be excited to see what changes are made with customer feedback!


  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Sebastien, I am having trouble getting a good compass calibration. I saw your video, and tried that a couple of times. The best number I get is 1, never a 2, and about half are 0. What I don't understand is how you can read the display, especially when the unit is upside down. I am doing the calibration in the woods, away from any metal.
    Concerning the calibration : You can basically ignore the number displayed, they were there for me as a reference for debugging and will be removed in a future update. No need to read the screen, just change the side every 5s or so. Also no need for the device to lay flat, just stable.
    You cannot get a bad calibration ( unless of course you do it in a non neutral environment ). If the calibration finishes, meaning the screen turns green, the calibration is GOOD. By default the device will get stuck in calibration mode if calibration is not at highest standard for the chip, avoiding you by the same way to take faulty compass measures.
    Hope this will help.


  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rchrds View Post
    Interesting, interesting. Glad to hear Sebastien is helping out with the issues, I'm a fan of great customer service. I will be excited to see what changes are made with customer feedback!
    Thanks Jason, and thanks for taking the time to do a review of your experience with Mnemo (however disappointing it was).
    I'll post in the next days a detailed answer that, hopefully, should answer and solve most of the difficulties you had during the survey.
    I still have to adapt to the fact that I have to deal, at distance, with "Customers" , so far the device was used by local cave divers, here in Yucatan, to whom I had a chance to give a demonstration in person on how to use MNemo and give them as well the tips and tricks necessary to get a good survey with the device.
    Hopefully everybody will get there.
    Cheers !


  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebKister View Post
    Hi Jason,

    your unit has been tested, by me in this case, during a survey dive, then taken apart, cleaned, checked, reassembled, then packaged.
    To operate the gate take the lever between thumb and index, apply a rotational force forward and then pull the lever back. This should do the job.
    Cheers
    Thanks for the suggestion and confirmation of testing (especially in water, which I am sure is time consuming). I'll give this a shot before trying the two springs option. Like everyone else, I see a lot of promise with this tool (in my case for research re-surveys of existing line without a dive partner), and look forward to getting all of the kinks worked out.

    Jason Gulley

  8. #68

    Default

    A tips and tricks document would be great once you've had a chance to see what issues people have been running into.


  9. #69
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    21,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebKister View Post
    Concerning the calibration : You can basically ignore the number displayed, they were there for me as a reference for debugging and will be removed in a future update. No need to read the screen, just change the side every 5s or so. Also no need for the device to lay flat, just stable.
    You cannot get a bad calibration ( unless of course you do it in a non neutral environment ). If the calibration finishes, meaning the screen turns green, the calibration is GOOD. By default the device will get stuck in calibration mode if calibration is not at highest standard for the chip, avoiding you by the same way to take faulty compass measures.
    Hope this will help.
    I will try that. Much easier than what I have been doing. Thanks!

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #70
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    21,657

    Default

    I just communicated with Sebastian, and he has updated the MNemoBridge software to implement Imperial units. http://arianesline.azurewebsites.net...ane/IndexLocal
    You will need to change Metric to Imperial next to the Read button in MNemoBridge.

    Thanks Sebastian!

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. The MNemo - a review
    By rchrds in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-23-2017, 09:56 PM
  2. Rental MNemo unit
    By Teddy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-12-2016, 03:10 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-20-2016, 08:29 PM
  4. Aluminum Diamond Plated Tool Box
    By Reddiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 06:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts