Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

I am new sidemount diver and I like the configuration because it's more fun to dive than backmount doubles. But the cost and effort of doing so would only have been worthwhile for a practical application ie cave diving and I have dived caves where it has been useful (eg Mexico). I did all my original trimix and cave training in backmount which was fine. I find the approaches to some caves and shore dives considerably less hazardous now. I still use backmount doubles for deeper boat diving though. Was I oversold sidemount? The acid test is do regret it? No it's a useful tool and a fun and relaxing way to dive. Would I have done it for open water diving only? No, the application seems limited, I would rather spend money on actual diving than on equipment.

Sidemount diving offers some benefits to an open water diver:

1) the cylinder valves are easier to operate than they are on a backmounted single or backmounted double

2) theoretically one could feather a single BM cylinder, but not really. And I have seen people really struggle with closing BM double valves. Do you really believe that all BM divers are capable of even reaching their valves? With side mounted cylinders one can switch regs and easily close the free flowing cylinder until the 2nd/1st stage melts. Even feathering is easy and relaxed. I can do it at least for 20min with no difficulties.

If all ice divers who utilize single tanks, would switch to sidemount then their diving would become dramatically more safe. And no, these people are not few, and I fear many of them would not become proficient in BM double valve drills. We can of course DEMAND that nobody dives under ice without valve drill skills but unfortunately some people will ignore that or believe they master what they do not. And finally, free flows can also happen in open water.

3) the obvious need to switch regs constantly (to maxize the remaining gas in case of lost cylinder or gas sharing) creates confidence once you have done it a hundred times.

4) whereever singles are available, a SM harness gives access to a second gas source. BM doubles are less frequently available.

5) Balance. Roll. Swim on your side or on your back (true, hands need to support the cylinders then). Think of acrobatics under warter. Hey, this can be fun too!

6) the dolphin kick

7) need to do physical labor under water? How about a back, that you can actually bend?

8) less stuff out of view that can cause problems: a fishing net for example, is an unpleasant thing around the manifold (hit a net, stand up and turn and there it is). If your SM valves get trashed in a net at least you can see them or detach the cylinder.

Some drawbacks:

1) Boarding a RIB from water can suck.
    2) Sitting on a bench is easy in BM but awkward in SM.
    3) There are two SPGs to monitor and you MUST switch the regs regularly.
    4) Clipping the cylinders can become tricky with gloves, or an epic battle with mittens. Why are the biggest clips so small?

Last edited by LiquidWaterDiver; 04-18-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Time Out User

Dolphin kick.....

Quote Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
    Dolphin kick.....
    I'll assume this is a question.

Imagine the subtle difference between a flutter and modified flutter.

Well, a dolphin kick is really just a fancy name for "modified porpoise" and only differs slightly from the wildly popular Mermaid Kick employed by deep reservoir divers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Draker View Post
    ... and only differs slightly from the wildly popular Mermaid Kick employed by deep reservoir divers.
    Been following RDeeRR hoping to improve my photography game and YouTubing monofin Nick trying to learn how to properly fin in the overhead... I should be a pretty damn desirable dive buddy soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dive Africa View Post
    Hey

Cheers Dries
    I did not see this one before, but great post!

NACD and GUE instructor

http://www.tuimelaar.eu/

Warhammer

Quote Originally Posted by jlcdvr View Post
    Warhammer
    Definitely an Advanced Sidemount Maneuver, but can be very handy when the conditions or situation require.

Best to practice this under the direct supervision of your favorite SM instructor prior to attempting on your own.

Best to practice this under the direct supervision of your favorite SM instructor prior to attempting on your own.

This is why many community pools no longer permit scuba instruction.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Imagine the subtle difference between a flutter and modified flutter.
    As compared to the flopper & modified flopper kick. Mastered by many....